Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiet and fastest way to pull out a rusted freeze plug out and put a new one in

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hit it off center with a flat nose center punch and a big hammer. dont be scared you have to hit it hard, once it turns sideways just grab it with some pliers and yank it out, when you get the new one find a socket or a wooden dowel or something that just fits inside it, and tap it in gently with a hammer.

also, you'll want to drain the coolant if it hasnt already all run out
:gringreen

ask me how i know this:kooky:

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Depending on which plug it is, determines how easy it will be. If you can't pull it out, just knock it in the block and leave it.

If you can't seem to get the new one in. Use a rubber expanding freeze plug. These hold up real well in my experience. And are great for a jam. Need nothing but a wrench or socket to install it.

Trying to swing a hammer and dowel with the engine in the car to install the plugs usually ends up with many, many 4 letter words being yelled. Specially if its one in the back of the engine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its the one on the passenger side inbetween the motor mount its my brothers car

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Depending on which plug it is, determines how easy it will be. If you can't pull it out, just knock it in the block and leave it.
What ever you do, please, for the sake of all things holy, do NOT
"Just knock it in and leave it"
you will almost definitely cause a hot spot in the cooling system and will be plagued with issues from it until you removed the offending freeze plug.
that is without a doubt the worst advice i have ever seen anyone give.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
There is probably 10's of thousands of people running around as weak speak with a freeze plug in the engine. And they never will know it. The plug will only get as hot as the coolant running through the engine. And its not going to be sucked into the radiator for sure.

Some people take things way way out of context. I'm not saying its an ideal way, but rather a method when in a jam.

I've replaced tons of engines for various reasons, and found loads of things in the coolant passages. Never had one of them mention the first issue about cooling problems.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Me either! To sit here and talk about hot spots on a point in the cylinder that on a 3" stroke engine that combustion temps never make it to is kinda of a moot point. The last oil ring is a good 1" above the bottom of the cylinder skirt. Second ring probably 1 1/2" from the bottom of the skirt.

Yet I'm attacked by the freeze plug, hot spot police! LoL

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Me either! To sit here and talk about hot spots on a point in the cylinder that on a 3" stroke engine that combustion temps never make it to is kinda of a moot point. The last oil ring is a good 1" above the bottom of the cylinder skirt. Second ring probably 1 1/2" from the bottom of the skirt.

Yet I'm attacked by the freeze plug, hot spot police! LoL
If you had surgery and needed a tendon replaced in your knee, would you want the doctor to cut the old tendon out and just drop it down in your knee and leave it? no? i didnt think so.

Its a stupid idea, regardless of whether it causes issues or not. The only time I've ever seen it done it Did cause issues. Its just plain lazy and stupid. it is not that hard to get a freeze plug out the correct way.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
LoL... Surgery and Freeze Plug. Those two have so much in common.....

Fact still remains many have done it without issues. Probably safe to say what ever you were working on had other issues.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
william, at your young tender age i'm sure you have layed on your back in the dirt and changed many freeze plugs, but trust me .... it's no big deal. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Yes, I must have missed it. You are the pinnacle of this hobby! Everything needs to be done the "Pocket" way.....

What needs to be remembered, is not everyone has the money to do all things the "by the book way". Some guys have limited funds, and my not be able to afford tow truck fees possibly up in the hundreds. Just to get a freeze plug out. There are times when you have to do what has to be done. And if its not detrimental, or catastrophic, who cares what the method is, as long as it works. I am fortunate now to have just about anything I need to do what ever job there is to be done. Not everyone can say the same thing. And I can rationalize, since I've been in the same boat. I do my share of helping members here, not once, nor will I give out suggestions that harm another members car. Everything I suggest is based off first hand experience. Multiple ones at that. Not one isolated incident like you are doing.
Like I've said before, its just another alternative, for guys just to get out of a jam. Sure the correct way would be to pull it out. I've never disputed that. But for some its just may not be something they can afford depending on the situation.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yes, I must have missed it. You are the pinnacle of this hobby! Everything needs to be done the "Pocket" way.....

What needs to be remembered, is not everyone has the money to do all things the "by the book way". Some guys have limited funds, and my not be able to afford tow truck fees possibly up in the hundreds. Just to get a freeze plug out. There are times when you have to do what has to be done. And if its not detrimental, or catastrophic, who cares what the method is, as long as it works. I am fortunate now to have just about anything I need to do what ever job there is to be done. Not everyone can say the same thing. And I can rationalize, since I've been in the same boat. I do my share of helping members here, not once, nor will I give out suggestions that harm another members car. Everything I suggest is based off first hand experience. Multiple ones at that. Not one isolated incident like you are doing.
Like I've said before, its just another alternative, for guys just to get out of a jam. Sure the correct way would be to pull it out. I've never disputed that. But for some its just may not be something they can afford depending on the situation.
your logic is flawed. it doesnt cost any more to do it the correct way.
how the hell would pulling out a freeze plug the correct way require a towtruck?
Its no wonder so many cars are hacked up POS's nowdays. guys like you work on them
I never claimed to be the pinnacle of anything. I'm just calling you out on your half-assed lazy way of doing a job so simple a 5 year old could do it correctly.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
william, have you ever really replaced a freeze plug? with the engine in the car? on the ground? behind the motor mount? if so please explain YOUR technique! obviously at 18, you are more experienced than all of us.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Its not flawed. All the plugs are not as easy to get to. Middle one the worst. You can sit here with your panties in a bunch all you want. And be the keyboard mechanic for days on end. I don't want to here about an experience you "seen", or "heard".

Your feelings are obviously hurt. You are way too sensitive for me to have a debate about this. If you didn't squat when you pee, you probably wouldn't be that bad of a girl. :)

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I agree with you there. Ill give him credit though, if he is 18, then wanting to do things right way all the time is fine by me. I'm never against that. But rest assured, there will be a time when he does something the not so correct way. If he admits it or not. It will just come with experience. I'm done with the thread anyways.

Later boys!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts