Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was driving down one of the country roads in my area and at first it was fine, but then halfway through I ran into a stretch that they had recently tarred and topped with small gravel and there was traffic behind me and I was pretty much stuck driving it, so I slowed way down to about 15 mph till I could turn off.

Well I got home and as I figured I had tar on the side of the car considering it was about 95 degrees out, but the rocker panel behind the front wheels now has about 20 small tiny rock chips per side!! GRRRRRR!! Luckily I have the TruCarbon GT500 wide splash guards on the back so the back of the car came out ok.

But I spent about 4 hours yesterday, washing, de-tarring then clay barring in preparation for touch up painting with a fine brush and a magnifying glass.. and I have a car show this weekend.

I won't be taking that road anymore even if it means adding 30 minutes to drive time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yesterday I was driving down one of the country roads in my area and at first it was fine, but then halfway through I ran into a stretch that they had recently tarred and topped with small gravel and there was traffic behind me and I was pretty much stuck driving it, so I slowed way down to about 15 mph till I could turn off.

Well I got home and as I figured I had tar on the side of the car considering it was about 95 degrees out, but the rocker panel behind the front wheels now has about 20 small tiny rock chips per side!! GRRRRRR!! Luckily I have the TruCarbon GT500 wide splash guards on the back so the back of the car came out ok.

But I spent about 4 hours yesterday, washing, de-tarring then clay barring in preparation for touch up painting with a fine brush and a magnifying glass.. and I have a car show this weekend.

I won't be taking that road anymore even if it means adding 30 minutes to drive time.
That must suck very much. I would've slowed down to 5 mph and let the people behind me curse and throw a fit as much as they want.

Let's get some pictures of the damage..

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I had this happen to one of my previous cars. I broke a few things including my cell phone that night. I was so pissed.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I hate chip sealing with a passion, save lots of money but is horrific on cars :yup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
OK, thanks for posting, now I'm in a cold sweat!! I'm about to head to upstate NY and Maine and I totally forgot about those roads and how they can mess up a car. I hate the idea of mud flaps on my car but now I know I need to put some on when I get to the north east. I guess I should actually thank you for the "heads up" Sorry to hear about your car, I hope it all came out ok.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Oooooooo yeah, nothing more infuriating than a half-a** road repair. If they can't get a roller to smoosh it down, then just skip it... I'd rather hit the potholes than have all that sh** flying up onto my car.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

This is why I am currently designing my own set of 4 splash guards--front included. I went to walmart, bought a plastic garbage pail for $5, cut out 4 peices, now measuring for size just how I want it, wrapping it with vinyl carbon fiber wrap, coating with clearcoat. All for under $10. Now how it holds up during the canadian weather remains to be seen, but I can easily do this every few years as the most time consuming part is measuring the template.

·
Registered
292 Posts

FWIW, my car has the sticky Pirelli tires and I would hear the pinging of invisible rocks hitting the car. I installed the Roush side splitters with much skepticism. After a month I cant remember the last time I heard anything hitting the car. They do seem to work and they don't look half bad. Took an hour to install them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FWIW, my car has the sticky Pirelli tires and I would hear the pinging of invisible rocks hitting the car. I installed the Roush side splitters with much skepticism. After a month I cant remember the last time I heard anything hitting the car. They do seem to work and they don't look half bad. Took an hour to install them.
Yeah side splitters along with CS valance and BOSS splitter are next mods on list

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Those Morons do that to the roads around here also. and theres that one guy that drives a junker who gets infront and drives like crazy just to throw up dust,rocks and everything else on purpose.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Can you use after market splitters with the stock side skirt & how will it look if you do? Will it match or look two tone?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.