Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been thinking on changing out my stock wheels to maybe a set of 20" rims. Does anyone have any advice of rim and tire size. I'm also thinking of lowering by inch and a half.

I've found 20" rims on Discount Tire for only $70 each which seems way cheap to me. Check ou the following link and see what you think.
Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
here is my gt with 20" rims bullitt and nitto nt 555 street radials 255 35 20'' on front and 275 35 20'' at the rear and already low 1 1/2 inch love it no problem!! good for looks and for racing!!:bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
So I've been thinking on changing out my stock wheels to maybe a set of 20" rims. Does anyone have any advice of rim and tire size. I'm also thinking of lowering by inch and a half.

I've found 20" rims on Discount Tire for only $70 each which seems way cheap to me. Check ou the following link and see what you think.
Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

Thanks
s**t !! if you can get those rims for that price go ahead bro they look good...get some nice tires drop it and you are ready too go!!:shiny:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
s**t !! if you can get those rims for that price go ahead bro they look good...get some nice tires drop it and you are ready too go!!:shiny:
Do you know if I can fit the 20" X 10" rims all round? The tires they recommend are 245 - 40 - 20. Do you know if they would work?

Your Stang looks nice!

·
Registered
122 Posts
20 x 10 in the front is too big. It will rub if you get a decent width tire on it and also it will be alot harder to steer.

20x9 in the front with 255/35/20 and 20x10 with 295/30/20 in the back is pretty ideal. If you want your tires to be the same height as stock. You wont have to mess with your computer to correct your speedometer. But getting it recalculated is alway best.

245/40/20 will fit too. They are almost 3/4inch taller then stock...but they are not very wide. I would go with at least 285/30/20 (a little less than 1/2 inch shorter than stock). Otherwise Just get 20x9 all the way around.

·
Registered
98 Posts
thanks man !! i have 20x 8.5'' rims on mine all around but putting 20x10' in the front is probarly little to big., on the rear you should be ok .,do little research just to dubble check., tire wise you should be ok with at least 255 40 20'' or 255 35 20'' all around also check this link out it may help.... :shiny: Supercharging the 2005 Mustang GT

B
0 Posts
Do you know if I can fit the 20" X 10" rims all round? The tires they recommend are 245 - 40 - 20. Do you know if they would work?

Your Stang looks nice!
You need to check our offset. A 10 inch wheel up front may require you to roll your inner finder. You can also go with a staggered fit. Common front wheel sizes are 9 to 9.5 inches. I also would not put a 245mm tire on a 10" wheel. Check with the tire manufacturer but you will be compromising your sidewall trying to stretch it like that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought it was too good to be true! Discount tire only have that wheel in a 20" x 10". They say the spec will fit my Mustang but I srust all of your feedback better. Selecting wheel and tire options seems to be quite complicated and made me realize I'm a mere mortal! I wa getting ready to get the wheels and tires installed this week but looks like they won't work, darn!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I wouldn't do anything narrower than a 275/35 on that wheel.. a 245/40 would be way too tall and way too narrow.. Stay with what people here recommend, an 8.5 - 9 inch wheel up front with a 255/35r20 tire, and if you want staggered look go to a 10 inch in back, but you have to decide if you want the beefy "mag wheel" look of a taller rear tire or if you want to keep them looking the same.. If you want the bigger tire in back, do a 295/35r20.. if you want to keep it looking right, a 295/30r20 will work, but there are only 2 tire manufacturers making that one, Pirelli and Toyo, and the Toyo is an all season tire.. Go to a 305/30r20 and you have a couple more options, but they are all pretty spendy. If you do a 285/35r20 you will have a wider tire in back with about a half inch more height, not very noticeable, and lots more options for tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.