Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Legend Lime Convertible
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second owner of a 2005 Legend Lime convertible. Bone stock and great condition as it was garaged all it's life and driven by a senior citizen (like me). And yes, it's in a garage now, on carpet no less.

Normally, you would find me in the twisties on a V-Rod. Have developed a "twitch" in my arm and it will jerk all of a sudden. Not a good thing when leaned over in a corner.

Sold my bike, and started looking for a Mustang convertible. Two criteria: Green and S197. Several months of looking, and one pops up fifteen miles from me. BAM!

It rides out pretty well, but I'm thinking to update the shocks. I'll never hit the strip or track days, but I do enjoy winding roads so I'm reading up on suspension, maybe tighten it up a little bit. It's comfort over performance at the end of the day, though.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
welcome to the forum

Bilstein struts and shocks might tighten it up a little, without being overly harsh; they are often described as "euro-firm"

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Reactions: Alf

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Texas. Legend lime, one of my favorite colors. It was the color of my 06. Ford brought the retro color back only for the 05 amd 06 model years.

Reactions: Alf

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Welcome to AFM from Tx, it's great to have you!!

·
Super Moderator
40,104 Posts
Welcome to the site !!

·
Super Moderator
2,968 Posts
Welcome to AFM!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes. I've already installed a "love the drive" wind deflector, and the cockpit is so much more enjoyable. I had no idea how many aftermarket parts there are for a sixteen year old car.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Green is also usually a requirement for any of my cars anymore.
How many miles on your 2005? Strut and shock replacement is a good idea on a car with anything near or over 80k miles. You might want to buy reasonable lowering springs as well which will make it handle better and give it a nicer stance. I wouldn't buy springs that are more than 1.25" lower though. You'll have to worry about scraping on speed bumps then and other road hazards. Some brands advertise being for coupes or GT only and others advertise for being for all(coupes and convertibles, v6 and v8).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the forum.
Green is also usually a requirement for any of my cars anymore.
How many miles on your 2005? Strut and shock replacement is a good idea on a car with anything near or over 80k miles. You might want to buy reasonable lowering springs as well which will make it handle better and give it a nicer stance. I wouldn't buy springs that are more than 1.25" lower though. You'll have to worry about scraping on speed bumps then and other road hazards. Some brands advertise being for coupes or GT only and others advertise for being for all(coupes and convertibles, v6 and v8).
Interesting you should ask. It has 215k miles. It was driven about 50-60 miles on the highway, roundtrip, every day by the previous owner for his job. Previous owner claims he did not change out the shocks. I took it for a ride in the mountains. I didn't push it, but I didn't slowpoke it through the curves either. No rolling, or diving. Regarding stance, I measured the front fender, and as I recall it's about 3/4" lower than stock. I measured it, because I thought it looked lower than stock. I attributed that to springs that have settled. So, long story short...rides well, handles well, looks good. I really am trying to talk myself into new shocks/struts, but losing the argument.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Mustangs are usually made with tight suspensions from the factory being a sports car. Even a worn out suspension might still generally feel as good or better than a mid/full size equivalent grocery getter 4dr sedan with half the miles. However, I highly recommend replacing those struts/shocks and springs. If you're not displeased with how it handles on a 200k mile suspension then you'll probably be astounded how it feels with a new suspension in it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most excellent point...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts