Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a trick to get this off?it feels like its hung at the top.Im trying to replace my front wheel bearings and brakes.Thanks.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I am guessing you have drum brakes and you need to back off the adjuster for the drums. look behind the backing plate on the bottom there is a small oval hole. it is supposed to have a rubber plug but it is frequently missing. use a flat blade screwdriver and tighten the adjuster screw by turning the gear. once you have backed off the brakes if it still won't come loose wack the drum in between the studs good and hard with a ball peen hammer to loosen up the crud that tends to stick it together, then it should pop right off.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
As mentioned above, if you've removed the wheel nut and it won't slide off ( I whack the drum around the outside and center with a large rubber mallet) you may have a ridge at the outer edge of the drum that the brake shoes are hanging up on.
If you put a flat blade screwdriver in the backside access hole as mentioned you'll feel the star wheel that adjusts the brakes. Flipping it one way you will hear it 'click' = this is tightening the shoes against the drum, you will need a second small thin flat blade screwdriver to slip in the bottom of the hole to push the lock tab off the star so you can rotate it the opposite direction to loosen the drums. Just remember which way it clicks up or down. The opposite side drum will be flipped the opposite direction up/down.
Jon

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
It may look like Jonk and I are contradicting each other but we are saying the same thing. when you look at the brake shoe mechanism with the drum off you will see that the adjuster is basically a bolt screwed into another bolt so to speak and when you tighten the adjuster the bolt gets shorter allowing the shoes to move away from the drum when you unscrew the bolt it gets longer forcing the shoes against the drum. I hope that was not confusing in my original message.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just remember which way it clicks up or down. The opposite side drum will be flipped the opposite direction up/down.
Jon
Actually, the adjustment is the same on both sides because the adjusters are threaded opposite. This is why they are doubly marked (L/R - 1 stripe/2 stripes) because if reversed, the automatic adjuster will loosen the brake, not tighten it. Maybe this is what you mean, they rotate opposite, but when adjusting the "click", it is the same on both sides.

From the back/inside, turning the wheel teeth up tightens the adjuster. This is the same on both sides. From the shoe side, the adjuster tab moves up in reverse until it clicks past a star. Let up on the brakes and the spring pulls down on the tab moving the wheel down one notch or click. Down from the outside is up on the inside when adjusting.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts