Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the pads in my front brakes, being careful to fully retract the 2 pistons on the OEM caliper by using twin c-clamps so the pads would fit w/o rubbing the rotor when I re-installed it and the caliper.

When I went to bleed the brake line/caliper via the Russell speed bleeders I had already installed there was no fluid that exited into the Mighty Vac container despite my taking the vacuum up as high as it would go.

Are the calipers somehow jammed at this point or what's going on that's preventing me from re-filling the caliper and bleeding the line out ? Do I just need to turn the ingition on and step on the brakes to "re-set" the pistons ?

:needahand:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
There really should be no reason to bleed the system if you haven't disconnected a brake line. Normally after the pistons have been fully retracted, it will take a couple of pumps on the pedal to get them to expand and push on the pads. I would do this first, and then bleed them if you are changing fluid.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I disconnected the brake line so I could install steel brake lines and in the process drained the caliber of fluid. I first tried sucking fluid through with the speed bleeders attached and when that didn't work I re-installed the original bleeders, opened it up and still got no fluid coming out when I attached the Mighty Vacuum.

Should I still try pumping the brakes first to see if that works ?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the latest: I put the OEM bleeder back in, pumped the brakes, then checked to see what had happened, The calipers tightened up fine and when I loosened the OEM bleeder I was able to bleed the line until no more bubles came out with the fluid.

Either the Russell speed bleeders don't work with the OEM system or I did something wrong.

More later after I do the other side and "test" drive the car.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I beleive with the ABS sys. you have to just pump them. Your not suppose to pressure bleed the ABS systems. So the speed bleeders will work under normal bleeding.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I FINALLY got the lines to bleed correctly but only AFTER I removed the speed bleeders and put the OEMs back in.

I'm not sure why this is the case but that's what happened.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.