Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Sorry if it have been ask before but i could not find any post..

Is the front brakes very bad on a mustang standard ??, mine fade after just one brake from 80km-100km..

So have any used some good aftermarked dish brakes, og do i need a complet upgrade bakre kit, with bigger dish and so on.

/Kenneth

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Fact

The Calipers are strong enough with 2 pistons.
The problem I have with the brakes is the car out runs them and a Rotor and Pad upgrade will help.
EBC Rotors and Pads are nice and will help.
Power Slot makes a nice slotted rotor that will be good.
If you go with a Big Brake Kit it is allot of Krones (DDK)
Plus you will have to make sure the wheels you have will have enough clearence.
Pedal firmness can be improved with Stainless Braided lines to help with the rubber hose flex. I know Brenspeed has a nice well thought out brake upgrade kit in the Power Slot brand pads hoses and fluid.
Stage3 Motorsports has some nice options in the realm of Rotor and Pad combo for a nice price. AM Muscle has Rotors that address this issue as well.

I hope this helps.

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
I'd just do pads and rotors unless you're going to be racing.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Jlt

JLT has what I think for brake cooling a nice complete kit for the price. My problem with the Steeda kit is they show a hose and bracket. They don't explain much about it. The JLT kit seems very straight forward with a good write up so the owner is well informed.
Folks I know in Germany install these brake cooling kits because of the higher speed limits or lack of speed limits to ensure good brake distances. I know your country has some quality roads to get up to speed on. 130Kmph (80mph) was not that uncommon when I visted last. So I understand the need for good brakes.

T Wayne wish I was in the USA but I'm stuck in Iraq

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.. i think i order one, and then new rotor and pad.

(Wayne, hope you get home soon )

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thanks

Thanks Ken. I have never seen a Mustang on the HWY in Denmark.
A few American cars on the side roads. Do you have a Ford dealer near you??

T Wayne

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah around 8 km, but they have 0 parts to a mustang sp they need to order every part. But i buy brakes,pad, and new clutch at lethal... then i gonna see how hard it is to change the clutch.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
just before i did buy new rotor and pads i did see this:
NEW SHELBY MUSTANG 14 " FRONT BRAKE UPGRADE KIT(05-11) - eBay (item 260747439743 end time Aug-01-11 22:02:48 PDT)

How much better are the gt500 brakes compare to the GT. and i gues i can't use my std wheels anymore .
GT500 brakes are more than adequate, especially if you add upgraded pads and hi-po fluid.

With GT500 brakes you run into wheel interference problems. It's not easy to tell if a certain wheel will clear the calipers of the upgraded brakes. My solution was to use GT500 wheels as well. They have 45mm offset and 7.25-inch back-spacing, for reference.

The 17-inch GT wheels are hopeless with the GT500 brakes. Most of the optional Ford 18-inch wheels will fit with added spacers and other modifications.

There is every reason to believe the standard brakes, with upgraded pads and fluid, and a cooling system will be adequate for anything but all-out road racing, and even then, many would be happy to show their performance will be fine for most road uses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts