Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a set polyurethane bushing to replace my old ones with in my stock front control arms. I got the old ones pounded out okay. But the problem is that when using my shop press to put them back in i made the big mistake of not putting anything in between the spaces of the control arm, which has distorted it pretty bad, its probably about a half inch squished in. I am just wondering if it is at all possible to get the control arm back to the original shape, as i do still have the other side in which i could take measurements off. Is this at all possible? or am i better off just to go to the scrap yard and get another one and try all over again?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
This is my personal preference, but I would get a different control arm. I don't like tweaked suspension components, however, it may be ok if you straighten it. Did your bushings come with the outer shells? The ones I installed, I had to burn out the rubber part and hammer the new bushings in the original shells.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I tweaked one of my rears when I put it in. It's about impossible to get the shape back to the way you want it. I plan on getting another one from the junk yard next time I'm there, or just buying a set of aftermarket ones.
If it's more or less lined up you can drive it, but you probably shouldn't be racing on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is my personal preference, but I would get a different control arm. I don't like tweaked suspension components, however, it may be ok if you straighten it. Did your bushings come with the outer shells? The ones I installed, I had to burn out the rubber part and hammer the new bushings in the original shells.
The bushings i got came with the rubber in the metal shell they are the polyurethane ones from Energy Suspension... So now if i am capable of getting it pretty close to its origional shape and it being able to fit in the k-member okay would that be acceptable? I would of thought that if I brought it in for an alighnment they would be able to move something one way or another ....... as something i fergot to mention i am putting in Caster Camber plates, if any adjustment with that would help make up for the control arm being tweaked a little?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Even if they can align it, if the ball-joint isn't in the exact same position as it came from the factory (especially if it is different from the other side) it will handle funny. You can try straightening it, installing it, and taking alot of measurements, but I really think your best bet is to find another control arm and try installing the bushings again.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I would really get another one. Once it's bent, it'll be easy to bend again but easier next time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses, It looks like i will just find another Front control arm, however seeing as it is hard to find 5.0l in the scrap yard i was wondering if the control arms on the 4 bangers are the same as mine?---> 1989 5.0L GT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.