Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunce: Okay, I replaced the master cyclinder on my 65 with a 67 dual and it didn't work so well. I then had several repair shops check it out and they all had different ideas, most of which would cost a lot of money. So for a lot of money I had front disc brakes installed by a mustang shop who when doing it determined that the master cyclinder from NPD was defective, unfortunately a year after installed, so they installed a new 67 dual with an adjustable rod. When I picked up the car the pedal was almost on the floor and I suggested that I didn't feel that is correct. They now indicate that the adjustable and the stock just don't hold the 65 at the same height. Is there a rod that will keep the peddal height up. It is now being suggested that I need a power booster to give me more peddal. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Dude to me it sounds like you are getting ripped off. It's like these people are using your wallet to finance their guess work. If the pedal pushrod is adjustable then they should be able to adjust it to the correct pedal height, and if the pedal height is correct at the start, but goes so far down to the floor before it locks the brakes, then there is a problem somewhere, and a vacuum booster has nothing to do with that. Maybe something still is not adjusted right.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brake rod

What they are saying is that the rod is not long enough when adjusted, as the 67 didn't need as long a rod as the 65. It seems that you are right but they indicated that it cannot be adjusted enough to get the peddle off the floor. :sterb:

·
Registered
360 Posts
It would seem that lengthening the brake rod would accomplish the goal for minimal cost. All that is needed is a piece of mild steel rod the same diameter as the present piece and a welder. Or maybe that is too simple?? I would be watching my pocketbook very carefully at that shop!!

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:)The people at that mustang shop aren't really as good at this as one might have hoped.Folks with 65/66 Shelbys often decide to go with a dual reservoir master cylinder.I've done that swap myself on a number of occassions.You use the 67 master cylinder and the original rod from the 65/66 car.If your pedal is riding near the floor then they have adjusted the rod all the way in to it's shortest length and could be easily corrected.If the rod is somehow defective,which it would have to be if it it is unable hold it's adjustment,it should be replaced.If it won't hold it's adjustment on a 65 car then it wouldn't hold it's adjustment on a 67 car either.The rod has no idea what year model car it's in.:)I have seen where people have welded their own rod and it seems to work,but I just don't trust that with my life.If the weld fails for some reason,you have a problem,but that's just me.Good luck.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.