Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, i've got a 66 mustang v8 that has essentially all new front end, stock rebuild.

I'm not too happy with it, but it is what it is.

The biggest concern I have is the loud clunking I get under hard braking...it's mostly on the dr side, but does it on both sides.

to test the car, I bounced it up and down HARD while out of the car. The straight up and down bounce test, literally bouncing it it's full travel had no noise at all.

it's only when I brake hard.

I'm suspecting perhaps something to do with the strut rod/lower control arm setup, but I don't know. My strut rod bushings are new.

the noise is specifically coming from the strut tower areas, not the front strut BAR mounting area, so it's def something in the a arm/spring kind of area, something right around the wheel suspension area.

Anyone have any ideas? I've seen this on old cars before, but since it only does it under hard braking, I can't replicate the noise with the car setting still.

perhaps it's just a design flaw of the early cars or???

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I'd check the UCA shaft nuts for looseness, recheck all your bolts for torque again since it's new stuff. You may be able to jack the car up and wiggle the wheel to see if you can get any play.
Since you mention the brakes, are they disc or drum? if disc I'd recheck the torque on all the mounting bolts.

I had a clunk but it turned out to be the motor mounts were finger tight from the PO.
Jon

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...i'll check the torque on the bolts. It also does it on hard steering meaning left to right full turn while moving slow.

I just came back from the track taking her down the 1/4 mile for the first time, and she was nice enough to about slice my new $50 fan shroud in half up top.....So I can't help but wonder if my motor mounts have too much play in them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.