Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,
The Ford dealer had a sale on oil changes the other day for $19.99. Shoot, it costs me that to do it myself, so I went ahead and had them do it. Upon inspection, I was told the front end was leaking, and would cost $850.00 to repair. I hadn't expected that, so I left to think about my options.
I have never used any of the various sealers, meaning oil leaks, water leaks, tranny leaks and so on.
I see where Lucas has some rack and pinion sealer, and am asking if anyone has ever tried this stuff. Does anybody have an opinion on it, and if so, what?
While I am here, any suggestions as to what to do about the front end leak itself?
Thanks in advance,
Larry

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
So the rack and pinion is for sure leaking? If it is, climb under there and check all fittings, hoses and anything else that may be leaking. Mine was leaking from a hose once, I fixed it in like 5 minutes.

I always prefer to do my own oil changes. Theres a place here that does it for 14.99, same price as doing it myself. But they only use 10w30.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gonna get under and look around tomorrow morning. Twenty bucks is OK for an oil change for me. I do my own too, usually, but couldn't pass this up. Their every day price is $34.99. That is why I usually do my own.
Thanks for the info though. Just hope it isn't a seal.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
its not a good idea to use sealers like that on anything. though they might find the leak, they most often will destroy something else.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
A little TIP, I have a Buddy who works in a Local Delearship and they are told to NOT let any car, truck or suv out of the shop without finding something WRONG with it! There all a bunch of ripoffs, or most anyways. I'd definately check it out for myself first or at least get a second opinion. How old is the Mustang?
Second, when I bought My Mustang in July of 07 (New) I got a FREE Oil Change Cupon from FORD for a Semi=Synthetic Oil change that was'nt done by FORD but by a place FORD has do all the Oil changes for them and there located right next to the Delearship on FORD's property.
Well I put about 1,500 miles on the Mustang from the time I bought it up to October. I was going to store it in my Garage for the Winter and I figured I'd get the FREE Oil change befor I put her to sleep.
I went and got the Oil change, had to drive on the Thruway about 45 minutes to get there, got the Oil change and drove home and parked the Stang in the Garage for the Winter. I put Dryer Sheets under the car to help prevent Mice from going near the car, (It Works) anyway about a month or so into the storage in my Garage I looked under the Stang to check and make sure the Dryer sheets were doing there job and still had a potent smell to them and I saw a Big Dark Wet Spot! I reached and put my finger in it and it was OIL!
Longer story short the place the FORD had do my Oil change DID'NT TIGHTEN UP THE OIL DRAIN PLUG AND IT WAS REAL LOOSE! I could turn it with my fingers, I was PISSED! I called FORD and they did'nt say much. Now this would have been good if on my way home from the Oil change if the Oil Drain Plug came out and ran my Stang out of Oil, plus all the Oil would have got on the underneath of the car and been everywhere!
So always do your own Oil change if you can and if not be sure to have whoever make sure the Plug is snug:bigthumbsup Good Luck with your car and let us know what you find out.
Ron

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yea, I have always been a firm believer that a dealer's garage will ALWAYS find a reason for you to come back.
I saw a drop of oil on the left side of the rack and pinion this morning - a drop - after 48 hours, so I am not going to get too excited about it yet. I didn't check the drain plug though, but I will later today.
Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ya, i hate dealers with a passion. i took my f250 in once for a recall for a air bag or something electrical. when i picked it up they said i`ll be needing rear brakes soon. so i pulled the tires off at home only to find some idiot busted a chunk out of the rear drum with a hammer checking the rear brakes, which they denied. :mad:

took the mustang in once to get a spare key and fob, figured how bad could that be? when they said it was done, not only did the fob not open the doors, there was grease on the drivers seat( which was tan cloth at the time,and never would clean off) the carpet, and the door :madas:
i went to a different dealer to get the trans flush, it went ok but i didnt even let them remove the hood pins or open the hood. did it myself. so i`ll let them do it again in another 5k.

but i would avoid the dealers like the plague whenever possible. your better off to pay for the parts and diy :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Oh, I forgot to say that the Oil that leaked out of my Mustang was ALL OF IT, when they did'nt tighten the Drain Plug. And one time I took My F150 to the Dealer for a Oil Change and Inspection, well I just happened to look in the bay where they were finishing the Oil Change as I was trying to watch and make sure they put Mobil 1 in. Well then a Mechanic got inside the Truck and I saw Him with his back up against my seat standing on my brakes! YEP, he blew a line and tried to say it was that way. I went in the shop and told them they better put a FU$%@! Inspection Sticker on it with no barkes or else! I drove it home with only front Brakes, got it home and fixed the line myself.
All the way home I thought of crashing my Truck and blaming them,,,but if course I did'nt as I knew I'd probably never win the case against them.
Dealers Screw You anytime they can!:nono: dont let it happen to you!
Ron

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Righteous information to all. DIY whenever possible - It's the only way to know the job was done right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.