Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a popping noise coming from the front of my 2002 mustang gt it only does it after i back up and start to accelirate. its a 5 spd was wondering if anyone has had the same problem thanks

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Only after you back up? Go to an empty parking lot and drive around slowly making everything from sharp to wide turns, both left and right, and in forward as well as reverse. Roll your windows down and turn off the radio. A popping noise from the front end like that makes me think bad ball joints, post back with results.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will try to get to a parking lot tomorrow when i get off work and try everything u said thanks for the help

·
Registered
31 Posts
Probably ball joints but just jack the front end up and try to shake the wheel left to right and up and down and see if there's any play in the ball joints, tie rod ends, rack & pinion, sway bar end-links, etc.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Probably ball joints but just jack the front end up and try to shake the wheel left to right and up and down and see if there's any play in the ball joints, tie rod ends, rack & pinion, sway bar end-links, etc.
^^ That was going to be my next suggestion. It could also be bad rubber bushings in the lower control arms. Get it up on jack stands and inspect it, do as TripleZ and use a little force to see if you can shake anything. Make sure you have someone to hold the steering rack tight if you try to push the wheels sideways. If there is any play while pushing in on the top or bottom of the wheel, that may indicate a bad wheel bearing or bad balljoint.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Most likely a bad sway bar end link or ball joint. Depending on mileage it could be a bad strut or strut mounting plate as well. The usual culprit is the ball joints though. There is a great tool on the market called Chassis Ears. It is a electronic stethoscope that clips onto chassis parts and you put the headphones on your ears and listen for the noise. I own a set, found them on ebay for under 50 bucks used, definitely worth it for annoying sounds on older cars.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Most likely a bad sway bar end link or ball joint. Depending on mileage it could be a bad strut or strut mounting plate as well. The usual culprit is the ball joints though. There is a great tool on the market called Chassis Ears. It is a electronic stethoscope that clips onto chassis parts and you put the headphones on your ears and listen for the noise. I own a set, found them on ebay for under 50 bucks used, definitely worth it for annoying sounds on older cars.
Can you use it while you are driving around to listen for noises?

·
Registered
932 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will do that thanks for all the help...i drove in a parking log and did all the sugestions above and didnt hear anything. but the other day i was crusing in 2nd gear and dumped the throttle and hear the pop agian it only seems to do it after backing up a steep hill and then taking off... or when i seem to realy get on the car but it only does it once no more after that

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hopefully you get this figured out. Front end noise drives me crazy, well actually any noise that doesnt belong on a car drives me crazy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the front end checked out, try looking at the motor and transmission mounts. While your under there check the u-joints while your at it. Just put one hand on the driveshaft and one on the yoke and try to twist opposite directions and see if there's any play.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts