Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
the best are 1965-6 V8 with all V8 steering, 1976-80 Granada will fit but require the use of granada outer tie rod ends with 65-66 V8 steering parts

·
Registered
157 Posts
jordanhuntley said:
I was woundering what years of spindles will work to swap a 1965 four lug to a 5 lug
Do you intend to swap in a V8? If so, you should also swap in the 65-66 V8 steering gear and suspension parts.

You could add original 5 lug 65-66 spindles to the existing steering gear or swapped V8 gear. If you want drum brakes or so called performance disc brakes, then this is the way to go. For an economical swap use Granada spindles. With the Granada spindles you can get outer tie rod end adapters that allow the use of a tie rods from V8 or 6 cyl (mustangsteve.com).

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
degins said:
Do you intend to swap in a V8? If so, you should also swap in the 65-66 V8 steering gear and suspension parts.

You could add original 5 lug 65-66 spindles to the existing steering gear or swapped V8 gear. If you want drum brakes or so called performance disc brakes, then this is the way to go. For an economical swap use Granada spindles. With the Granada spindles you can get outer tie rod end adapters that allow the use of a tie rods from V8 or 6 cyl (mustangsteve.com).
the control arms and sway bar endlinks are th same for both the I6 and V8.

The steering is compleatly different other than the pitman arm (manual steering). To tell ANYONE to use I6 steering componants with a V8 spindle is a stupid idea, and the parts are made and are cheap enough

G

·
Actually, as far as manual steering goes, it's the exact same between V8 and I6 besides the Pitman arm which is the only different thing. http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3573/Special.html

Also, if you're going to put a disc brake conversion on there anyway, then the spindles you have are just fine. You see, the spindles are the same between the 6's and the 8's. The difference is the hub and everything else that mounts to the spindle. So my suggestion would be to just keep the spindles you got, and throw on a disc brake conversion.

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
Acooljt said:
Actually, as far as manual steering goes, it's the exact same between V8 and I6 besides the Pitman arm which is the only different thing. http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3573/Special.html

Also, if you're going to put a disc brake conversion on there anyway, then the spindles you have are just fine. You see, the spindles are the same between the 6's and the 8's. The difference is the hub and everything else that mounts to the spindle. So my suggestion would be to just keep the spindles you got, and throw on a disc brake conversion.
Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.

OK, now for the facts.....the part numbers! Lets start with a few simple ones...Moog part numbers so any slack-jawed "part man" can look it up, it is easy to get 65 Mustang parts

I-6...outer tie rod ends-ES317L, sleaves-25476, inner tie rod ends-ES317R, center link-DS709R, Idler arm-20223
V8...outer tie rod ends-ES336R, sleaves-ES2004S, inner tie rod ends-ES713, center link-25756, Idler arm-FA546

G

·
I'm sorry, I retract your previous statement. After looking through Mustangs Unlimited, you are right about the steering. I was basing my reply off of the knowledge of my 67 which is in fact the same. But his spindles should still be the same shouldn't they?

Also, the site works fine for me.

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
Acooljt said:
I'm sorry, I retract your previous statement. After looking through Mustangs Unlimited, you are right about the steering. I was basing my reply off of the knowledge of my 67 which is in fact the same. But his spindles should still be the same shouldn't they?

Also, the site works fine for me.
nope, I6 spindles for a 65-66 are tiny, while the V8 spindle shaft is the same O.D. as any 67

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.