Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving for second semester of college and won't be taking my 67 mustang with me. Should I use some sort of fuel additive since she'll be sitting for up to two months before driving again.

If so what are some recommended fuel additives?

Any other tips on what to do to prepare the mustang for sitting for a long time?

It's stock 289 motor tremec 5 speed.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
443 Posts
I dumped a thing of Stabil in the tank when I stored mine. Run it a bit, so the stuff mixes through up to the carb. Should be fine.

Doc

·
Registered
82 Posts
stabil works. when you get back, pour a can of berrymans b12 in it. that will clean up whatever does manage to gum up while you're gone.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
You can add something if you want but I have never used any additive and have never had a problem even when it takes 6 months or more to use a tank of gas. For two months I highly doubt you need anything.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The gas in my '65 is 12 years old. I threw some stabilizer in some time ago and just fired it up this fall after sitting for 3 yrs. I pulled the plugs, squirted some oil in the cylinders, cranked it over until the oil pressure lite went off then reinstalled the plugs and it fired right up. It ran like a swiss watch.

The only difference here is that my gas was not ethanol. I do not know how it would keep, in comparison. Oh yeah, my car is garaged.

·
Registered
539 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like Doc said, throw some stabil in the tank, top off the car and run it to make sure it gets in the entire system and you will be fine. I do this for any of my gasoline engines that sit for extended periods of time.

I just make sure when I get back to using it regularly, run the tank down as far as you can safely and get a fresh tank in.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You should fine for a couple months or longer. I have had cars that sat for a year or so and fired right up without a hitch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I Agree with stabil. My father had my mustang for years and it sat for 3 years with the same tank of gas in it! (Mustang neglect!) When I bought it, I started it and even with old gas it still started and ran... decent. But I tore the carb apart and it showed grim everywhere. I use stabil now, and pop the top of the carb every spring now and its clean as can be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts