Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I buy a fuel cell, will I still be able to use my stock fuel gauge or will I have to buy an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
360 Posts
That depends on whether you put foam in it. If not, you can get senders to match the Ford gauge and fit in the fuel cell(depth is the most important dimension). You do need to cut a hole for the sender in the top of the cell, but not too difficult. Summit also has senders for the Ford gauges to fit in fuel cells with foam installed, look like a round tube and have the float inside.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What foam are you talking about? The urethane bladder? Cause I thought most fuel cells had that already. This fuel cell I'm getting is actually out of my uncle's Impala, but he used an aftermarket gauge(I think). But shouldn't the sending unit in it work?

I'm wondering how to wire it to make my existing gauge work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If he had the correct GM sending unit in it then it will read zero Ohms empty and 90 ohms when full. A ford fuel guage expects to see 73 ohms empty and about 10 ohms full. BIG mismatch. If it's a name brand cell you can likely get a "Ford" sending unit for it. If you want to used aftermarket gauges anyway, just pick up a "GM" specific gauge. Perhaps an electronics guy could come up with something tricky to make a Ford gauge read correctly but that's over my head. I doubt you could fit a stock Ford sender into the cell but it's worth at least a looksee.
The "foam" is just that. A bunch of foam like big sponges in there to help slow the spread of fuel should the cell (and bladder) be ruptured in an accident. Most street cars don't have the foam because it tends to degrade over time and bits of it end up clogging the fuel filter. Racers usually change their foam and even bladders every couple of seasons so this doesn't bother them. The extra safety margin the foam gives is worth their trouble.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure if it's got foam in it or not. And I'm sure it's a name brand cell though I'd have to look at what brand it is. And hopefully they sell a Ford sending unit kit cause I'd like to use my stock fuel gauge(I'll have enough aftermarket gauges as it is).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.