Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem is from an old post I haven't solved yet. When my '66 289 is running at idle, all is well. When I get it out on the road, as the rpm's go up, the fuel can't keep up, and it cuts out on me. When looking at the clear fuel pump, you can tell that the supply can't keep up with the demand. I've checked the tank, all the lines, the fuel pump, the only thing I haven't really checked is the carb. Could a sticky float or something cause this thing? If so, where can I find a rebuild kit for a Carter 4bbl?

If not, what do you think? Please elaborate...

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello GCRV,
I'm a bit confused. When you say you look at the clear fuel pump, I assume you are looking at a clear filter. If the filter is running low, I would think the problem is the fuel pump or a line going to the pump. Even though it is pumping there could be a restriction as to the volume.

You can test the fuel pump by putting the line that goes to the carb into a bottle/ The you pull the coil wire and crank. There is supose to be a certain volume. I forget what it is ...sorry.

I would blow out the line from the tank to the fuel pump and then if still a problem I think I would replace the fuel pump.

A carb problem could cause top end problems but when you say you can tell by the clear (filter) this would not be cause by the carb.

Is the car running stock fuel pump and what size carb?

You could also try an electric fuel pump but I am not a huge fan of those.

Good Luck..Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
i also had this same problem. when you say you checked the tank, did this include the sending unit? i started by changing the filter, then fuel pump, then the line, but still had the problem. my problem was solved when i changed the sending unit, also just went ahead and put a new fuel tank on(what the heck). matt

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, thanks for the suggestions. I thought about the fuel pump, so I went ahead and replaced it. The tank is only a couple years old, so I think it's pretty clean. Didn't think about the sending unit. I have blown the lines clean, and I also tried submersing the pick up line into a bottle of gas. Same result, not enough fuel. The fuel filter is also brand new. Can I get the sending unit out of one of the catalogs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
cjponyparts.com 800-888-6473, part#FSU1 64-68 $22.95. i started thinking tho about this problem. is it possible that the filter is laying against something on the engine and is getting hot enough to boil the fuel in the filter? or in the float bowl on carb possibly? just a thought.:headscratch: matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts