Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals,

So after driving my car for a year, I just purchased another Mustang 03 V8 Stick. I went through the owners manual and got to the driving
section and read the recommended way to shift gears for best fuel economy.

Gears upshifting while accelerating
1-2 -> 11 MPH

2-3 -> 19 MPH

3-4 -> 30 MPH

4-5 -> 40 MPH

My question is, is this good for the engine, tranny and clutch?

When I shift gears I listen to the cars tune and watch the RPMS hit between 2500 to 3000
and the MPH's before shifting to the next gear.

I don't know what do you guys advice, if this is accurate then I will have to readjust the way
I drive my car, which I don't mind,

I just don't want to over work the engine if the car is accelerating in a lower MPH and RPM.

Thanks

Wolfzrat

·
Registered
756 Posts
You have to do you, but I'll never understand buying a V8 if you're worried about fuel economy. *shrug*

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Every engine has a "power band"...that is where the cam's peak hp/tq is built/delivered.....in short, just like in a racing condition where you want your gears to be set to allow when you upshift, the next gear should be at the bottom of the "power band".....use a light throttle, you get better mpg. If you are getting clutch chatter, engine lugging, etc., then you need an "Ol Timer" to show you how to drive a stick......because all of this is controlled by you understanding engine loading, etc......if gear selection, etc. is done correctly, the drivetrain should not even feel your actions as a driver..... no wear, no damage. If the drivetrain does feel it, jerking, chattering, vibration, then your slection/actions are not appropriate for the road conditions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well its not that I'm worried about saving gas like that, I just want to make sure that I'm not killing anything on my car, just wanna do it right :smile: @oldgoatninja, and thank you @Beechkid I tried the advice from the owners manual and it was a hell of a smooth ride. But any who, thank you both for getting back to me and replying. it is much appreciated.:grin:

Reactions: Beechkid

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
It's important to understand that the numbers involved change dynamically. "under acceleration" is a very vague term! If you were at full throttle, those numbers would be silly. If you're driving very gently, trying to get good gas mileage, then shifting sooner under mild throttle makes more sense.

As you're driving around, learning your car's behavior, you'll get a feel for what the changing road conditions, engine, and gears want. After a while, you don't even really think about it; your hand will just find the gear your car needs, depending on what you're doing.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It also depends on the size tires and gearing on what the engine likes or dislikes when shifting. As log as its not lugging the lower the rpm you shift the better fuel economy you will get under light acceleration. As the load increases, so does the rpms in which you need to shift.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you @Grimbrand & @07redstang Much appreciate the advice and info, for the last 2 days I followed the instructions from the Owners manual and found that the car runs happier if that makes any sense. But that works on local roads mostly, as I have experienced myself as of now, I will have to try it on the HWY and see how it behaves. Thanks:grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts