Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the fuel filler grommet and possibly the fuel filler neck on my 1999 Ford Mustang GT. I have never done it before but have heard it is easier then it looks. I'm looking for some help (i.e instructions, pictures, links, etc.)

·
Banned
3,420 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing a write-up on here. It's rather simple, though. Just frustrating. Remove the interior trunk trim on the applicable side, undo the screws holding the fuel neck in the fuel door, drop the tank, and the rest is obvious.

Maybe a search will yield you some write-ups. I never looked for one.

If I were you, I'd wait until most of your fuel spills out before dropping the tank.

G

·
What rabbit said.

You can get a replacement grommet at your Ford dealer or from LRS.

Make sure and coat the inside of the new one with a little vaseline or something to avoid tearing it when installing it.

Frankly, the filler-neck-into-a-rubber-grommet-in-the-side-of-the-tank is one of Ford's worst ideas ever, but they started doing in on the Mustang in 1974 and they weren't going to quit until they got thirty years of use out of it! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
+1, And disconnect the Battery !!!!

You can try and fish the tube out the hole in the fender, but base on past experience it doesn’t work to good. After I smartened up and went through the trunk like Rabbit said, piece of cake.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I did this job on my old 96 Stang. We didn't have to drop the tank or anything. It just gets a little tough when pulling out the filler neck and putting it back in.

·
Banned
3,420 Posts
I have a '99
I dunno if there are differences between the '96 and '99 as far as filler necks go... but I would've broken stuff if I hadn't dropped the tank.

Eh... whatevs. There was some reason I dropped the tank. Maybe you can get away with not doing it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It was pretty tough doing it without dropping the tank. Maybe it is different between the years, I'm not too sure. My Haynes manual didn't specify any differences between the two generations though.

·
Banned
3,420 Posts
It was pretty tough doing it without dropping the tank. Maybe it is different between the years, I'm not too sure. My Haynes manual didn't specify any differences between the two generations though.
lmao
Yeah... that could be why I did it. Sometimes a little more work equals less ass pain.

There are two bolts that strap the tank in. Put a 2x4 on a floor jack to support the tank and drop it. Makes life easier.

I recall being lazy on my header install and trying to work around the oil filter or something. After hours of cussing, I just removed the damn filter, and it made the project far easier. Kinda the same thing. Lesson learned. I mean... come on. It's a damn oil filter.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
lmao
Yeah... that could be why I did it. Sometimes a little more work equals less ass pain.

There are two bolts that strap the tank in. Put a 2x4 on a floor jack to support the tank and drop it. Makes life easier.

I recall being lazy on my header install and trying to work around the oil filter or something. After hours of cussing, I just removed the damn filter, and it made the project far easier. Kinda the same thing. Lesson learned. I mean... come on. It's a damn oil filter.
make sure you fill the gas tank up with gas, just makes it a little more challenging when dropping the tank.

anyway, there must be a difference in the years, because the filler tube on mine came right out the trunk panel, took less than 5 minutes.

sent by dumb phone smart user

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Ok great. Thanks alot everyone, I appreciate the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts