Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I bought a 98 3.8l 5 speed mustang a few months ago. 60k miles, previous owner did an okay job keeping it up to date on maintenance.
Recently it’s begun idling rough. It has worsened lately, and sometimes will sputter out when turning over, and I’ve also noticed decreased performance. Replaced air filter(BBK replacement filter), previous owner had a BBK cold air intake with a “spectre” clamped on it, thing was literally shredded. Didn’t fix it. Checked plugs and wires, like new. NGK brand. Used my advanced OBD2 scanner and recorded live data, throttle position was good, MAF sensor was responsive, coolant temp good, everything checked out. Then I realized I haven’t checked my fuel filter. From my understanding, the issues I’m having are related to a clogged/bad fuel filter. I recall smelling gas while driving a few days ago as well. I’m about to go into the auto parts store and buy the K&N engineering fuel filter tomorrow, and swap it out with the old one. Wondering if anyone could recommend a better filter, or if they think the K&N is a good choice. Also want to know if anyone could think of what else could be causing the issue. No codes being thrown. Only mods on it is the BBK intake (I cut it down and have the filter inside the engine bay, near the hole in the firewall where it’s supposed to go, with heat shields and heat guards) and I’ve replaced the muffler with a glasspack and welded on steel piping and a resonated exhaust tip. Everything else that could correlate with the issue is stock. Thanks guys

1 - 2 of 2 Posts