Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up fellas? I've been having an ongoing problem with fuel flow on this 94 3.8, auto, standard coupe. When we started we checked out the fuel pressure on the rail and the pressure would fall as the car was running, so we assumed fuel pump was failing. Replaced it, 2 miles down the road afterwards and she dies again, same symptoms, just quits like she is outta gas. Check the valve on the fuel rail and fuel shot out strong. Let it set a while and it started back up and made it home.
Now when this first started, I could hear the fuel pump kick on and build up initial pressure, now it seems that the pump is not coming on every time I hit the key. So I am thinking the fuel pump relay is bad, check it out and find out the fuel pump relay is located in the CCRM/PCM module mounted on the coolant bottle bracket, figure I can replace the relay easily, take the box off, had to drill the rivets out to get the cover off, only to find out the relays, 3 of them , are soldered to a circuit board. No way to tell which is the pump relay, and not easily replaced.
I priced the module at $139.00, but the parts guy tells me he has the pump relay for $12.00.
Is there any way to ID and replace the pump relay only? My soldering skills coud use some work but I think I could do it if I could tell which one to replace.
Which relays does the ccrm/pcm contain besides the pump?
I'm thinking of giving the junkyard a try if its cheap enough, does anybody know which years/models are interchangeable?
One last thing, my parts guy was working hard trying to find an exact match, and finally had to call Cardone Industries, the maker of the brand he sells and they told him the OE part number we had, which is F4ZF-12B577-AA, actually matched "98 T-bird.
Thanks for reading, have a good day and thanks in advance for the help/advice.

Budd

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
have you pinpointed the problem to the fuel relay, or just guessing. Could also be clogged injectors. especially if the fuel shot out of the rail. Are you just sitting in the car and turning the key on and off. I think once the pressure build the pump wont stay on until the pressure is relieved. If you leave the key on, without starting the pump only stays on for a few seconds.
Also check your fuses! make sure they arent loose by chance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.