Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I took off my instrument cluster on my 65 to do some stuff with the heater. Prior to this the fuel gauge was working properly and so was the temp. gauge. I went to wire the instrument panel back up and when I turned the car on, the gas gauge and temp gauge needles began to rise and fall and alternate, not really ever stopping, or stopping in their correct spots. I am fairly certain the wiring is correct. Anyone have any ideas?

PS: Its a 65 Mustang with the sweeping instrument cluster with an alternator set up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I am stuck. I have done all the tests for the IVR, I get the pulse at the sensor end of the connecting wire. The gauge goes to hot and full, ( I am having trouble with both the fuel gauge and the temp gauge) Neither one is working. But the usual tests show the gauge to be good. So I am assuming the IVR and the gauges work correctly. It does not seem to be a wiring problem. I have just replaced the temp sending unit and no change. The battery also seems to not be charging...could these be related? The car starts and runs fine, all the lights work, etc.. Just cannot get these gauges to work....I do not own a OHM or voltage meter, just a test light. Sure would appreciate any help. My car is a 65 Mustang Fastback with a 289 engine. It utililizes the older larger model of temp sensor. The fuel sending unit was replaced with a brand new one. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If you are going to do electrical work, you need a volt/ohmmeter (even a cheap one). It will pay for itself the first time by not buying unneeded parts.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Agreed, you need a meter or you will always be guessing at the answer. Harbor Freight gives them away for free with a coupon; find a newspaper. With that free meter you would have been able to measure your old senders and know that they were working as expected.

If your car is running then there is enough voltage to operate your gauges. Whether or not the charging system is working has nothing to do with the gauges until the battery gets so low the car won't run.

Your problem is almost surely the CVR. It may not be grounded correctly or have some other problem. Its the only thing common between those two gauges.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
You might have the 2 wires plugged into the wrong side of the gauges.
I always mark with tape when removing wires, especially from behind the dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts