Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there i just bought a 88' lx 5.0 Auto. it is in great shape but the fuel gauge is stuck at the very top of the meter, to the point it behind part of the plastic so that sitting in the drivers seat you cant see the needle. i was wondering if it was the sending unit or the chip that sits behind the gauge cluster? thanx
cody

·
Registered
897 Posts
allwayzsidewayz said:
Hey there i just bought a 88' lx 5.0 Auto. it is in great shape but the fuel gauge is stuck at the very top of the meter, to the point it behind part of the plastic so that sitting in the drivers seat you cant see the needle. i was wondering if it was the sending unit or the chip that sits behind the gauge cluster? thanx
cody
You would have to do a little troubleshooting, if the indicator is past its normal "F" stop :rolleyes: the gauge itself could be bad. Unplugging the anti-slosh module from the back of the panel and checking how the gauge does will give a better idea of which might be bad. Hope this helps. GL

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have the same exact problem with my '90 'Stang.

I'm going to be changing out the fuel sending unit (I need to get at my fuel pump anyways, so....). After I do it, I can tell you if it worked for me, or not.

I'll probably end up unplugging the gauge in the back, but that'll be after I change out the Unit.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then I know it's the gauge itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanx young buck. that would be freakin awsome if u could hit me up after u do yours. i plan to do mine here in the next week or so so i get mine done before u ill let ya know what the problem is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey hey, all of a sudden my gas gauge starts working the other day when i hit a 1/4 tank. filled it up and the gauge looks broke again. :eyebulge: :confused: :madas: :shrug

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
That floater / sending unit sounds toast. I have a sending unit from an 89' Gas tank if you are interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.