Ford Mustang Forum banner

Fuel Guage Problem

774 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DJH1211 
#1 ·
I have an 05 with a guage problem. Everytime my gas guage falls below a half tank the needle bottoms out and the low fuel light comes on. It will on occation come back up to the correct reading but it will not stay. I think it may be the pump/sending unit but am not too sure I want to spend four hundred bucks on a hunch. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

#2 ·
The sensors get coated with crud from using cheap gas. Mine resulted in error codes that I'd clear and have them show up a week or so later. Then later a gauge "twitch" on occasion. Try using some Techron fuel additive every other fill-up, at least three doses. There are some other threads on this fix. Do a search with that keyword.

#3 ·
My gas gauge started getting a little buggy at around 3/4’s of a tank. I added some Techron and switched to Chevron gas about 6 weeks ago. Seems to have cleared it up. Yours may be a bit too far gone though, or at least may take longer. Looking on the positive side the fuel pumps were badly designed in the ‘05s, replacing it with the redesigned pump may be a step forward.

#4 ·
Also, crud is created by moisture in the tank, which is made worse if a tank is only half full or less, most of the time. You may also free up the sender by doing several hard acceleration/brake cycles to slosh the fuel in the tank around hard and exercise the mechanism. Do that with less than half a tankfull to really get the fuel moving around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.