Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is Washington state recently we received some really bad gas. Thousands of cars had their fuel injectors fouled up to the point where many cars were undrivable. Unocal has had to pay for cleaning thousands of fuel injectors up here.

I think I may have got some of that bad gas. I've lost some perfomance, especially under high load (read: 3rd gear) between 5 and 6000 rpm. I looked for a fuel injector cleaning kit on the net but they are about as much as buying new fuel injectors. Now I am looking at just replacing my fuel injectors.

The question is: should I move up to a 24 lb injectors? I've read they give a little boost to horsepower without running too rich. I've also read that I might want to have the 24 lb injectors because I have a ZEX nitrous system. If I did get 24 lb injectors would I have to get a new tune? Anyone with any experience on this subject?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
you can upgrade your injectors to 36lbs if you wanted, but remember, you will have to recalibrate, or get a new mass air housing and sensor matched to whatever fuel injectors you decide to go with. I dont think this is a problem if you go with the 24# injectors, should just be as simples as pulling the fuel rail and popping the new ones in. Well not that easy but you know.

·
Registered
324 Posts
What do the Gt's come with stock? While I was watching Two Guys Garage yesterday I could have sworn they said they came with 24#'s.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a brand new set of injectors if you need to get some. I took mine out when I put my blower on, so I have no need for these anymore.let me know if you are in need

[Please PM these posts to eachother so we don't get in trouble! Tx! kj]

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fleg said:
What do the Gt's come with stock? While I was watching Two Guys Garage yesterday I could have sworn they said they came with 24#'s.
I was under some impression that they were 19# although I have no idea where I got that. I could be totally wrong. Does anyone out there know for sure?

·
Registered
27 Posts
i was just a summit today and the stock injectors are 19# and i also learned you need to make sure you get a new mass air sensor and housing if you upgrade the injectors

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, talk about resurrecting an old thread.

Just an epilogue, the problem I had with my injector was not a problem with my injectors. It turned to be an octane booster I was using that ruined my spark plugs. A new pack of spark plugs and it's been all good ever since.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Wow, talk about resurrecting an old thread.

Just an epilogue, the problem I had with my injector was not a problem with my injectors. It turned to be an octane booster I was using that ruined my spark plugs. A new pack of spark plugs and it's been all good ever since.
I did the same thing... They should take that stuff off the shelves!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Okay... had forgotten about this thread... lol... DO NOT USE BOOSTERS!! IT IS NOT RACE GAS! It is Methanol! About as good for your car as cheap gas (Speedway et'all...)

Lee... the S197 GT have a pretty good meter... no MAF needed, only computer programing to let it know there are larger injectors... ;)

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay... had forgotten about this thread... lol... DO NOT USE BOOSTERS!! IT IS NOT RACE GAS! It is Methanol! About as good for your car as cheap gas (Speedway et'all...)

Is there ANY good octane booster out there? Kenne Bell says the only one they use is NOS brand? Does anyone know if that's any different from the rest.

I usually blend premium 92 (the best we can get here in Washington) with 100 octane racing gas but that's $6.00 a gallon. It would be nice to find an octane booster that does NOT wreck my spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Is there ANY good octane booster out there? Kenne Bell says the only one they use is NOS brand? Does anyone know if that's any different from the rest.

I usually blend premium 92 (the best we can get here in Washington) with 100 octane racing gas but that's $6.00 a gallon. It would be nice to find an octane booster that does wreck my spark plugs.
I thought you already did find one that'll wreck your plugs :D Couldn't resist....

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought you already did find one that'll wreck your plugs :D Couldn't resist....
Do you expect my brain to work on Super Bowl Sunday.

Or any other day for that matter?

Yes, I am looking for an octane booster that does NOT ruin my spark plugs.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
LOL... sorry man... use the ravc gas. MAybe it be cheaper to get some 120?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hardly ever post on this forum as I'm usually on Modular. But for your Octane Booster, try out Torco. It's suppost to be pretty damn good. Thats what a lot of 03-04 Cobras are running up at HPP Racing in Lewisville, Tx and they put down some pretty insane numbers with it in them. I know HPP stands by there products 100% and I would try it out. I know I'ma head back up to HPP in about a month or so and get a Custom Torco Tune for my car, but I just picked up my car on Sat after getting some parts installed, and a custom Dyno/Tune. So I'ma wait till my pocket gets a little heavier and I'ma go pick some up and try it out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts