Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 LX originally a 4 cyl converted to an 8 cyl. all from a 93 gt.. the fuel level gauge normally just reads very over full once in a while goes lower but never accurate. I replaced the fuel level sending unit on the tank and now the gauge just reads full all the time, any ideas on what else the problem could be?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Drive it till its empty, manually move the gauge to --E--. See what happens. You never know what happened to the car before you had it, or during the swap.

If the dash is pulled and the gauge is moved at all, it resets right there. There is no memory for that gauge.

As a rule you should tape or take a pic of fuel gauge when removing the cluster.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Gauge doesn't need to be reset... I've had the dash out of my 91 several times...
Its the anti-slouch module thats shot...
I know because the same thing happend to mine, I had to drop the tank to verify sending unit and to check the wiring for any shorts..

I even tried to have the module repairs by a couple of electronic gurus here at work. This guys repair circuit boards all day long. and it was a no go..

Had to by a used dash off ebay.. But Resto 50 sells them brand new..
Or you could mount an aftermarket fuel gauge, just be sure to get the right ohm's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i took out my cluster i don't see anything behind the fuel gauge, its actually inside the cluster? so the whole thing needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The same thing happened to me. The previous owner said they replaced the sending unit. It only shows full, or close to full.

"Its the anti-slouch module thats shot..." - Is this the module that they are talking about behind the dash?
Does anyone have a part number for them?
:bigthumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts