Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out cruising the other day and my check engine light flashed on and then shut off a few seconds later. I ran the codes and code 181 came up, system lean. so I put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and at idle its at about 31psi. When I took the vacuum hose of the pressure regulator the pressure jumped up to 40psi. from what i know,both of these readings are low. the fuel filter is brand new and I am pretty sure the pressure regulator is good seeing that it didnt piss out fuel through that vacuum hose. Car idles perfect and seems to drive great. Sometimes when the car has been warmed up and I start it it will surge and stall out (like its not getting enough fuel) until I actually start driving, then it is fine from then on

Is it safe to say that my pump is going bad?
if so, any recommendations for what brand pump to buy for a bone stock 5.0? not sure how I feel about carter or airtex

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
If you want to replace the fuel pump get a Walbro. Now is good time to replace with higher flow pump as well and cost difference is next to nil. Got with the 155 lph or higher.

Since you are there, replace the tank grommet.

As far as diagnosis, check fuel pressure while someone is giving it gas. I think that may be the only way to determine if the pump is not keeping up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts