Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the problem, When i put the key in and turn it on before the engine turns i hear the fuel pump turn on and build pressure up right. Isnt it sapost to shut off after 5 seconds??? Well the fuel pump doesnt shut off or anything. Do you guys think i have a leak or somthing? i orderd a new tank because of the baffle fell and it is messing up my float. Also i have a leak coming from the tank. Guys Help me out here!!!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sounds like it is bleeding down fuel pressure. Could be a leak in the system, or a leaky injector.
Also, check the relay and ensure it is not sticking.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if there was a leaky injector wouldnt i have balc smoke coming out of my exhaust?? I dont have black blue or what smoke comin out the exhaust and all the spark plugs look good. So what else can it be?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
If your fuel pump is not shutting off after 2-3 seconds that sounds like a bad fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where is that located? i have a new gas tank iam waiting to be installed cuz the baffel fell in the tank.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i found the relay under the driver seat but i didnt change it yet. I droped the gas tank and put the new one in and the fuel pump looked ok the screen was dirty so i cleaned it up a little bit then took he rfor a drive . PERFECT no bogging no hesataion no nutting , 5 miles later i punched it bog bog allmost stalled . so iam liek so it did it before then i giving it gas can give give it half throttle . i hear the fuel makin a loud nosie so i went home barley . yea I blew the PUMP!! so i just ordered the holly 190lb pump .;

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if this is related, but i have a problem that i assume is fuel related. I just got a new '89 5.0 GT 'stang after 4 deployed years of wanting. The previous owner before me let it sit for over a year. The mid pipe was rotted, the headers where clogged, the oil was black, no coolant, etc. The poor 'stang overall was in bad shape. Replaced the entire exhaust system, replaced the intake, new o2 sensors, new mass air sensor (the old one was bent and broken), changed oil, replaced spark plugs, removed some emissions hoses (they were blocked off anyway by the previous owner and were now just sitting on top of the new headers). Unfortionately, now i have a new problem. At first, the car would start up and have great pull up until about 15 minutes of driving. Then it would bog badly (noticable after 2k rpm). After about a week of searching and going to and from work, the problem escalated to now occuring as soon as i start up the car. The other thing i notice is that whenever i would lose power, I would hear a noise similar to a fan blowing coming from the engine (haven't been able to find where it is coming from). What could it be? I'm going to end up taking it to a mechanic if i cannot figure it out soon, i can't loose many days of work for this. And it would suck if i couldn't figure this out.

thx

·
Registered
3 Posts
After checking it out, found out that the fan blowing is the clutch fan that just blows constantly. Not sure if i should unplug the battery and leave it unplugged. Going to replace the fuel filter today and clean the injectors, but i still believe i might have a thermostat problem. The temp reads low and doesnt' change much at all.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok my problem was that the fuel pump was clogged . it had all crap in it. But i replaced wit a holly 190lph and i changed the fuel pump relay. Alos ur spark plugs u should gap them at .05 and ur problem would be fixed. Also if i were u i would replace all the filters and fluids like tranny and power sterring and rear diff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.