Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have two problems, which maybe related, but I doubt it. First when I intially crank the car, it won't always start the first time I bump the key.It just kind of coughs and kills before it ever gets going. Ok that is one, the second is my fuel guage went out, and my check engine light came on at the same time. What is up with that?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Simple troubleshooting...

"Ok I have two problems, which maybe related, but I doubt it. First when I intially crank the car, it won't always start the first time I bump the key.It just kind of coughs and kills before it ever gets going. Ok that is one, the second is my fuel guage went out, and my check engine light came on at the same time. What is up with that?"

A simple troubleshooting would be to replace the fuel filter first. It's cheap and easy to install. There is a technical article on this site that tells you how to replace the fuel filter.

After replacing the fuel filter, disconnect your battery wires, the positive and negative cables to reset your computer on your stang. Leave it off for a minute or two.
Reinstall and try starting the car. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

When was the last time a tune up was done on your car?

Other folks might have better answers. Just wait for replies.

Good luck and hope to get your pony up to speed. :shocked: :gringreen

·
Registered
11 Posts
You most likely got the Check Engine light because the GEMS module spotted a failure in your instrument cluster and/or sending unit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i would say a good tune up is in order atleast a fuel filter, as well as some good fuel injector cleaner, redline sl1 i think its called works great, i had a problem with my beater car and that helped out alot, they sell it at Advanced auto parts by me but you can probably get it anywhere hope that helps you out, if not i have no idea

·
Registered
32 Posts
also make sure that all your plug wires are connected tight, may sound stupid but make sure your battery is connected tight a loose connection will make you have no cranking power(not sure if thats your problem)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.