Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I just replaced the fuel pump. Car started and then shut off. It does the same thing it did before I replaced the fuel pump, now though the fuel gauge stays at half a tank even with the key off.

Here is what the car does. Well it's act's a little different with the new pump.
Symptoms:
Car starts, runs for a few minutes and shuts off, sometimes it will restart and sometimes it will not start.

There is a drain on the battery, if I leave the battery cables on over night, when I get up the next morning the car battery is dead.( I don't have the first idea about the electrical for this car)

Airbag light stays on all of the time

Fuel gauge stays at half full with or without the key on.

I just bought this car and have not been able to drive it. Can someone please help me without being to technical? I am a rookie and don't have many tools.

Thanks
Sandra

·
Registered
708 Posts
It sounds like you need to find a good mechanic. Technical know how and tools are essential to diagnosing and repairing computer controlled cars with fuel injection.
Didn't you start a thread on your battery issues? You should have resolved that problem first unless you like disconnecting the battery every night to keep it from going dead.
And why did you replace the fuel pump? would the car not start?
You are going to find that replacing parts without proper diagnosis is going to cost you lots and may or may not fix the problem.

I am all for people learning to work on their own cars and I am not trying to sound like a azzhat but it seems like you are in over your head. Good Luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like you need to find a good mechanic. Technical know how and tools are essential to diagnosing and repairing computer controlled cars with fuel injection.
Didn't you start a thread on your battery issues? You should have resolved that problem first unless you like disconnecting the battery every night to keep it from going dead.
And why did you replace the fuel pump? would the car not start?
You are going to find that replacing parts without proper diagnosis is going to cost you lots and may or may not fix the problem.

I am all for people learning to work on their own cars and I am not trying to sound like a azzhat but it seems like you are in over your head. Good Luck
Ya well if you think I like working on my own car you would be nuts. the reason I do it is because I can't find a mechanic around here that repairs cars any better than I can. One guy forgot to put brake fluid in my car after they did my brakes. Another forgot to put the timing chain cover back on after they replaced my timing chain. Two weeks later I had to have the timing chain replaced again. Another time I took my car in because the clutch was slipping and it needed adjustment. $4000 dollars later the car was trash. It never ran again. It was a Dodge colt for Gods sake.Or how about the time I had to keep bringing my car back to the shop every three months because the brakes needed to be replaced. Or how about the guy who told me there was nothing wrong with my brakes even though they smoked so bad people would stop and stare at me. You tell me to take the car to a mechanic because your not a woman who walks into a repair shop with a credit card. You have no idea how they treat women. I am now at the point where I would rather mess my car up then pay someone to do it. Everyone needs to start somewhere and I figure an 18 year old mustang might be a good car. But thanks for the encouraging words, by the way I figured out what was up with the fuel gauge. I went out and bought a voltmeter and I have code reader. The reason I replaced my fuel pump was because almost every time you stepped on the gas the car would die. Their was a high pitched noise coming from the gas tank. I had fuel but not enough volume. As I said thanks for the encouraging words. You must be a mechanic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think its a great idea for you to want to repair and maintain your own ride. Have you gotten a Haynes or Chiltons manual covering your car yet? They are a wealth of information as are the mustang forums but the responses you'll get from them can be mixed at times, whether you are male or female.

Finding a local Mustang club chapter can steer you in the direction of lots of like minded folks that like to work on their own stuff as well as some that dont and know reputable mechanics/speed shops in your area. Dont get discouraged. There are folks that have fun talking to and treating people like idiots on these forums when they ask questions but on the same token no one would want to see you get injured attempting something that is a bit above your skill level as well.

Sometimes just by doing your homework, sounding a bit more educated in your mustang and its issues can save you a lot of money and hassle than just walking into a garage with your credit card in your hand asking for help.

Good luck!

:bigthumbsup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts