Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to pull out my fuel pump to upgrade to a bigger pump. I'm having trouble with that locking ring. I went after it with a punch and hammer but its not budging and I don't want to beat on it too hard.

So how many of you got the ring wrench to take that off? Or did you all just use the punch and hammer and I just need to whack it harder? Don't want to damage that ring by hitting it too hard.

Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm trying to pull out my fuel pump to upgrade to a bigger pump. I'm having trouble with that locking ring. I went after it with a punch and hammer but its not budging and I don't want to beat on it too hard.

So how many of you got the ring wrench to take that off? Or did you all just use the punch and hammer and I just need to whack it harder? Don't want to damage that ring by hitting it too hard.

Thanks!

Make sure the you don't have a locking tab bent in preventing the ring from turning.

The pump does push up on the cover, but you should be able to knock it loose with a hammer and punch with out beating on it too hard ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with drive_not_55. The tabs on the lock ring that engage the tank aren't flat, there are indentations that lock the ring in place when it's seated.

I had to hit my lock ring harder than I wanted to, but it only to one or two strong strikes to unlock the ring, then some lighter strikes to fully remove the lock ring.

I actually had more trouble getting the new lock ring seated after installing GT500 fuel pumps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts