Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did this test on my 89 GT to check my fuel pump relay i am having the same problem expressed in the thread http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49461

You can try taking the EEC diagnostic plug under the hood, and hold it so that the terminals are facing you. Now turn it so that the longer side is on the bottom. It should look like a house with the pent side facing up. Find the far right terminal (it would be downstairs). Connect that terminal to a good ground and turn the key to run. The fuel pump should run continuously.

i did this test with the relay on and my fuel pump didnt come on

i have three questions, what am i testing with this and how do i fix it?
and where is the EEC and relay on my car?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
89GT5liter said:
i did this test on my 89 GT to check my fuel pump relay i am having the same problem expressed in the thread http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49461

You can try taking the EEC diagnostic plug under the hood, and hold it so that the terminals are facing you. Now turn it so that the longer side is on the bottom. It should look like a house with the pent side facing up. Find the far right terminal (it would be downstairs). Connect that terminal to a good ground and turn the key to run. The fuel pump should run continuously.

i did this test with the relay on and my fuel pump didnt come on

i have three questions, what am i testing with this and how do i fix it?
and where is the EEC and relay on my car?
Doing that should complete the ground, and power up the relay, which is under the driver seat. If the relay (and the circuit itself) is good, you should hear it click, when you ground the circuit.
The EEC processor is in the front passenger side kick panel.
Also check your inertia switch.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Take a look at this diagram............You need to see if you have power to the relay on the red wire. If you do, then the relay coil could be be bad or the connections to the realy on the red terminal or the tan/green ground terminal that leads to the test port could be bad too........

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your replys. Mean Green, u said to check the inertia swtich, where is that? sorry for my ignorance, im pretty new to mustangs...1 year in the making

·
Registered
73 Posts
The inertia switch is in the trunk right next to the rear taillight on the driver's side. It's a little black box with a white switch on top. if it's in working order then it should be down....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.