Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I found some info on this topic, all pretty vague. So I work for Factory Five Racing where the kit cars we build use foxbody's as donor cars most of the time. I get a lot of cool cheap and sometimes free parts from the big wigs around there. Recently I got my hands on a literally brand new Walbro 255 lph fuel pump that they were just gonna throw away. My 87 5.0 HO (still with speed density) is basically stock (underdrive pulleys, GT40 upper/lower intake, and new plugs, 9mm wires and an MSD cap and rotor.) so my question is, would I be able to use this pump without any issues? Like will it be pumping more fuel than my engine needs or will the ECU regulate that on it's own? Confused as to how this works. I know the pump is good for serious power I just don't want to put it in a basically stock 5.0 and have it cause problems with my fuel air ratio or anything like that. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The pump will circulate a certain volume through the lines, if your pressure at the injectors remains the same the computer will still open the injector for the same amount of time. You'll just have a lot more fuel pumping back down the return line to the tank.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
393 Posts
What he said^^^^

Unless you went rediculouslly huge with the pump (255lph is not that) you will just have more fuel available on tap but your stock motor will just use the same it always has. If you have a bad fuel pump, and want to replace the stock one with this and/or you plan on heavy motor mods in the future by all means then drop er on in!!!

If you think by adding the bigger fuel pump that it will result in horsepower gains, you will be disappointed. Fuel supply is a supporting modifcation, much the same as the cooling system is modified to support increased horsepower. You dont gain anyting, it simply supports what you have already gained via other means.

Also, the same goes for injectors too. Putting bigger ones in dont do diddly unless you NEED that extra fuel. Matter of fact, running oversized injectors can hurt you in certain instances since injectors running at a less then optimal duty cycle tend to not atomize the fuel as well as properly sized injectors operating at the optimal duty cycle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts