Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey this is a pretty simple question. The owners manual says Ford recommends BP 87 octane gasoline. The only thing I've been able to find special about BP is they are the only station in town to carry 92 octane premium. But since it recommends 87 I can't figure out why the BP. Is it just a paid sponsorship? Also I've always bought premium gas believing it burns better than 87, am I going to hurt anything by running a higher octane fuel through my GT?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have never seen a recommendation for BP. It does say minimum 87 rating, but nothing about BP.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
A lot of Mustangs have the 'Ford recommends BP' printed on the gas cap. There is no advantange in running a higher octane fuel if the car isn't tuned to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with the last post, I tried both in my car and it did not make a difference. Yes Ford recommends the BP because of a sponsorship thing and because BP is spearheading the efforts for green fuel / alternative fuel. Ford gets to show it is corporate responsibility.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
British Petroleum is just a big fuel supplier in the states. its just a sponsorship advertisement...no rules saying BP only. any gas will work fine...but a tune for higher octane gas will benifit you more if you decide to pay .20+ more per gallon.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
As far as I know there isn't anything special about BP besides they paid Ford. If you don't have a tune/tuner it is useless to use anything above 87 octane. Before I got my tune I used 93 octane and I actually got worse gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
After all the petroleum moguls made zillions during the summer of 08, they don't need to advertise anymore....damn speculators:nono:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
They must have just done it in 06/07.
My '08 has the BP symbol on the gas cap.
Maybe I have a gas cap which was left over from '07 :shigrin

·
Registered
56 Posts
Its on my 08 Shelby. Frankly, I buy the cheapest 93 in town. It doesnt matter what company you buy from, they all put valve cleaner additives in their fuel now. But I do not buy from citgo, because of chavez in Venezuela and what he had to say about America a few years ago.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My '06 has it. BP is a HUGE sponser of Ford Rally cars in Europe. You know, the countries that have some of the best Focus and other models that we can't have here in the states, the ones that routinely kick Subarus WRX sti's on a regular basis............:headscratch:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.