Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 5.0. car died out, as if its out of gas (half a tank still there). i hear the relay under the seat rapidly clicking on and off. i replaced the relay, no luck. i unplugged it altogether and hear the distributor doing a steady light ticking (ignition module maybe?) i unplug the ignition control module and reinstall the relay, and it still clicks away. ford dealership is no help. save my sanity...

pump is relatively new 255lph unit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
humm i had a simmilar problem on a parts car that sat for a long time... check your grounds on the computer and the one on the firewall.. that fixed mine for me ! if you happen to have a voltmeter check the voltage coming to the relay and the voltage leaveing should be the same but if it changes that would mean theres resistance in the relay or wiring but sounds like a ground problem.. good luck!

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is a problem near and dear to my heart. I fought with a similar issue last year and it took ages to figure it out. In my '86, there's a second relay in the circuit - the EEC relay - behind the passenger kick panel. That's where my problem was. Once I ran a jumper to bypass that relay she ran fine. Not sure if '90's are the same - other's will chime in and confirm I've no doubt.

·
Registered
941 Posts
you dont need to by pass it in fact i would not do that just get a new relay

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Do check the EEC relay down below the computer in the kickpanel. That relay is what sends power to the relay under the seat and if it isn't operating properly, the pump won't either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright. the kick panel is out, computer is sitting on the floorboard, but where the heck is this EEC relay? there are no relays. i see a dozen connectors holding 1000 wires, but no relay. also, checked grounds. they're tighter than a gnat's a$$.

i've got a sledge hammer and a plasma cutter, i'll find it eventually i guess...

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's back there bud - somewhere. Gotta give it a thorough look. It's identical in shape and size to the relay under your driver's seat. I nearly missed it myself as it was behind the sheet metal behind the kick panel. Pain in the a$$, I know, but it should be there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
found that booger. i tap the side of it and hear something rattle, broken solder maybe? part number E3UF-12A646 BA//10EC i cross ref'd that number at several places, no matching part. looks like a standard FP relay. is it? hmmm.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
So you changed that other relay too? You can get bad relays, even from the Ford dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.