Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t started my pro charged 97 cobra in a few weeks... started it up today and it ran for about 10 minutes then heard a pop... and it stalled... still turns over but didn’t want to start... it is below -0 today here and the gas has been in it since October, could it be I need a fuel treatment? Moisture in the gas? If so what’s a good brand? Thank you. Ps... it’s never stalled before... I’ve owned it since May of 2020 so I’ve never tried to let it run in this cold of weather before.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Most likely water in the fuel.....gas typically takes about 6 months before it starts to turn to varnish (depending on local conditions, blend of fuel, etc.) One thing to be careful about are products that have ANY oil based products in them...this can damage the cats!!!! Secondly, products that contain corrosive levels as well... this WILL damage the fuel injectors. IMHO, if looking for commercial products, "Heet" is commonly available at most chain auto arts stores and is methanol.... the concentration is enough not to cause any damage but will evap the water. For home remedies, I use acetone.... 1/2 ounce per gallon... this not only addresses the water issue but in SoCal with the multiple times of year we change fuel blends, there is always an issue with left-over summer blends being used in cold weather and vice-versa...this eliminates this "little issue" as well whe it "pops-up"

Reactions: my89foxbody

·
Registered
2020 2.3 Mustang
48 Posts
I haven’t started my pro charged 97 cobra in a few weeks... started it up today and it ran for about 10 minutes then heard a pop... and it stalled... still turns over but didn’t want to start... it is below -0 today here and the gas has been in it since October, could it be I need a fuel treatment? Moisture in the gas? If so what’s a good brand? Thank you. Ps... it’s never stalled before... I’ve owned it since May of 2020 so I’ve never tried to let it run in this cold of weather before.
I'd try to see if I had a fuel filter I could change.
The fuel filter may be in the gas tank.

Alkehol fuel like said draws moisture in no time.
I'd fill it up with premium gas.

Look at some Starlite startron to put in your gas to treat the water in the fuel.

·
Registered
1996 Mustang Cobra Laser Red
126 Posts
The pop sound concerns me. If it were gas related I doubt it would have ran for 10 minutes. Have you checked all hose couplings for you pro charge set up? Checked all vacuum hoses, inter cooler hose n pipe connections? Air intake all secured?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I put in a bunch of fuel stabilizer in and added 10 gallons of new 93 octane, ( the car was about 1/4 full before adding). It started but ran rrough for a minute then when I hit the peddle a bit it died and won’t start again. I can hear the pump turn on when I turn the key... it sounds different now though,, it’s turning over but sounds like it’s not trying to fire? I don’t know exactly what’s been done to this car since the original owner had built it, the only reason I know what it had originally been built with is because I found a old insurance card behind the glove box , I searched all the names in the state, county etc. on Facebook until I found him. It originally had twin Ford GT supercar fuel pumps, and I don’t think it does now, but everything else seems to be the same. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures so I can show you what it looks like on the rear by the gas tank when he owned it and what it looks like now. I’m not sure if it’s gas, spark or electric issues. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 2.3 Mustang
48 Posts
Too bad you couldn't of got a lot more gas out of the tank before you put stabilizer in.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Well I put in a bunch of fuel stabilizer in and added 10 gallons of new 93 octane, ( the car was about 1/4 full before adding). It started but ran rrough for a minute then when I hit the peddle a bit it died and won’t start again. I can hear the pump turn on when I turn the key... it sounds different now though,, it’s turning over but sounds like it’s not trying to fire? I don’t know exactly what’s been done to this car since the original owner had built it, the only reason I know what it had originally been built with is because I found a old insurance card behind the glove box , I searched all the names in the state, county etc. on Facebook until I found him. It originally had twin Ford GT supercar fuel pumps, and I don’t think it does now, but everything else seems to be the same. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures so I can show you what it looks like on the rear by the gas tank when he owned it and what it looks like now. I’m not sure if it’s gas, spark or electric issues. 🤦‍♂️
Check the fuel pressure at the rail.
Did it run good for a little while?
I wonder if now only has the stock fuel pump? Which would be ok for just cruising around but it would probably be dangerous lean at wot.
See the paper clip at the top of the screen above where you’re typing? Click that to add photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before and after photos.

9DE81CFD-D658-43D1-B7BB-3D2B51FB2793.png BC8A6DD7-278A-4757-BF12-2FB2C5145784.jpeg C9A3ABAA-2DBB-465B-8EC3-A0E0F3AF1F18.jpeg 394F754E-5980-4104-81C5-50658E32B213.jpeg 7CD5E8AC-650D-4DCE-96E0-2DE5A2AFD876.jpeg 117C9B4D-1D44-4468-B100-A758AAF908D1.jpeg 8F268AB9-00AF-4CC4-BC2A-E082B17929F0.jpeg

I have a rough list of the build that the original owner has given me in text, I’ll attach pictures of that list now.

9F416F38-13CC-4F43-B889-243CA2DD482E.png C7203F97-C125-437C-A6E7-7FF6474CDA9C.png

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
The little cylinder on the bracket kind of looks like the Vortech T-Rex inline fuel pump that cams with my kit. I’m not sure about the other two deals.
Can you ask the guy you bought it from what’s the deal with the fuel pumps gone? The stock pump won’t feed 15 psi like he says it’s making. It should start and run though as long as nothing broke due to being lean.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fellow I purchased it from didn’t know crap about it... he’s a big truck long haul driver and saw it for sale somewhere on his travels and bought it without getting any information. When I looked at it to buy it from him I could tell right away that it wasn’t a 97 Cobra Motor, only because I had a 96 Vortech charged cobra a year or so before... he had know idea. There is one more owner in between the original builder and the guy I got it from but I can’t find him... most likely all the changes came from him.

I do know that I never seen any starving fuel even at wot.. it would lite the tires at 50mph.
The wideband would read 13 or so at idle and around 12 driving around not jumping on it.... kinda hard to look at the wideband and out the windshield when I’m into it so I really don’t know what it red then. The tires are super wide but still traction is scary.. I never have really stomped it in first gear... second gear is scary enough lol.

C5E8B736-C1C5-48C8-9551-E0AA2A370A2C.png

And it mite have a t-Rex ... my last one did... my only problem is that the car is lowered and even in the garage with a floor jack under it super hard for me to fit under there LOL I need a better floor jack. Working on that for today though.

Just jack it up so I could take a peek, this is what it looks like now on the backside of the tank by the rear differential. I’m guessing one’s a pump in the other is a fuel filter? And then the question is I wonder if I have a fuel pump in the tank still?

604AA666-4FDE-49CD-ACAD-F6E01E575849.jpeg 84842B83-64A8-4292-954A-51DA513C5D09.jpeg

Scan for codes, check fuel pressure, etc. Pull the fuel filter and see what comes out. Is sludge or regular? Maybe try some HEET.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-e...4H6It58WybL-gyKsnlRoC1TAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Only code I got out of the sct unit was p1000?

The pop sound concerns me. If it were gas related I doubt it would have ran for 10 minutes. Have you checked all hose couplings for you pro charge set up? Checked all vacuum hoses, inter cooler hose n pipe connections? Air intake all secured?
The pop sound came from the rear if that makes any difference? All the hose and vacuum lines look good.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Do you hear the pump prime in the tank when you turn the key on? Pull the fuel filter and see what comes out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you hear the pump prime in the tank when you turn the key on? Pull the fuel filter and see what comes out.
I definitely here atleast one pump run when I hit the key ... not sure if I have one or two pumps ... and I would have to have a helper hit the key while I lay up under it to hear if it’s the pump I can see on the out side of the tank or if it’s (if I have one) the one inside the tank. But definitely there is a fuel pump sound coming from the rear when I hit the key on... sound like “reeeeee errrrr”...for about 2 seconds? Then when I hit the key all the way to start it just turns over... doesn’t sound like it even wants to fire at all.

Oh and is the red one in the picture the filter? I’m guessing so... would that be the only filter?

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Oh and is the red one in the picture the filter? I’m guessing so... would that be the only filter?
Oem filters look like this and I’m pretty certain there is only one. I’m not all that familiar with the return-less fuel system. I think this is your ‘05 GT pump. The description lists it as an in the tank type though so I don’t know.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, I took out the filter it was the red one it says aeromotive on it... seemed fine I can blow through each end with no problem at all...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Check the fuel pressure.
Guess I have to figure out how to do that.... I did have another pump that came with the car ... don’t know what make /model it is but it was similar to the one bolted to the outside of the gas tank right by the aeromotive filter... I swapped it out... still no go... this new pump is a little bit louder so I can certainly hear it run when I hit the key. Maybe I have a pump in the tank still and that one died? Stressed out! Thanks for all the help though.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Guess I have to figure out how to do that.... I did have another pump that came with the car ... don’t know what make /model it is but it was similar to the one bolted to the outside of the gas tank right by the aeromotive filter... I swapped it out... still no go... this new pump is a little bit louder so I can certainly hear it run when I hit the key. Maybe I have a pump in the tank still and that one died? Stressed out! Thanks for all the help though.
I believe there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail where you can hook a gauge up to. Since yours is OBDII you could also check the fuel pressure with a “scan tool” but I’m not sure if the motor has to be running or not. When you prime the pump (turn key on) there should be pressure at rail.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a fuel pressure gauge in the car... but I don’t see it moving when I hit the key... guess I need to do some research on how to check not at the rail or a scanner.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts