Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hello... doing some troubleshooting here, my 97 Pro charged cobra won’t seem to start after it stalled the other day idlei g I. The garage, the fuel filter is clean the pumps running but it doesn’t seem to want to start, just wondering if the IAC valve has ever caused anybody’s car not to start at all?.
Thank you.

I cant seem to find the schradar valve, I’ll post a picture, maybe someone can see it?
Also should my fuel pressure gauges needle inside the car move when I’m trying to turn it over? Should it be 0 not running.... seems it’s been stuck on 34 since this all happened, thank you!

F13E0D6E-BC50-4E89-B485-BC6279488D0B.jpeg 6065A94D-2A1C-4F04-9C9B-391282137727.jpeg E5E9DC2E-03B0-4FC4-98A2-C95987AECDAB.jpeg AE230605-1B58-449C-8291-AB0C02158637.jpeg

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hello... doing some troubleshooting here, my 97 Pro charged cobra won’t seem to start after it stalled the other day idlei g I. The garage, the fuel filter is clean the pumps running but it doesn’t seem to want to start, just wondering if the IAC valve has ever caused anybody’s car not to start at all?.
Thank you.
If the IAC is STUCK CLOSED, no air can enter the engine unless the gas pedal is depressed. So, yes, it's possible for a no-start to occur. I would try cranking the engine with gas pedal about 1/2 depressed. If engine fails to start, look elsewhere for trouble than the IAC.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If the IAC is STUCK CLOSED, no air can enter the engine unless the gas pedal is depressed. So, yes, it's possible for a no-start to occur. I would try cranking the engine with gas pedal about 1/2 depressed. If engine fails to start, look elsewhere for trouble than the IAC.
Thank you, I have moved on from the iac... I tried to start with the peddle depressed... also took out the iac and put the brake cleaner to it even though it looked real clean....I have another thread I started called fuel system questions.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
It’s supposed to be towards the front on one of the fuel rails. I can’t make it out in your pics. It appears that you have some aftermarket Tomfoolery going on though.
When you turn the key to the run and you hear the pump make noise, that is the pump pressurizing the system. It should be around 40 psi at this point. If you were to not start the car the pressure would slowly bleed off.
Do some studying on the ‘97’s fuel system. I’m not sure if it’s vacuum or computer controlled or both.
Here’s a little info on the schrader location.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It’s supposed to be towards the front on one of the fuel rails. I can’t make it out in your pics. It appears that you have some aftermarket Tomfoolery going on though.
When you turn the key to the run and you hear the pump make noise, that is the pump pressurizing the system. It should be around 40 psi at this point. If you were to not start the car the pressure would slowly bleed off.
Do some studying on the ‘97’s fuel system. I’m not sure if it’s vacuum or computer controlled or both.
Here’s a little info on the schrader location.
Thank you, I’ll read up on it.

Update, for shits and giggles I tried to start the car with the pedal to to the floor,, didn’t start but it sound like it wanted to catch a little bit once or twice... I heard a pop noise a couple times coming from towards the front.. after I was looking around and saw gas dripping on the floor mid way under the car...not sure from exactly where soce even with the floor jack I can’t really fit under it all the well.... I didn’t notice the leak before but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there... could I have cause this by trying to start it that way with the pedal to the floor?

Doesn’t seem to drip until trying to start it.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Update, for shits and giggles I tried to start the car with the pedal to to the floor,, didn’t start but it sound like it wanted to catch a little bit once or twice... I heard a pop noise a couple times coming from towards the front.. after I was looking around and saw gas dripping on the floor mid way under the car...not sure from exactly where soce even with the floor jack I can’t really fit under it all the well.... I didn’t notice the leak before but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there... could I have cause this by trying to start it that way with the pedal to the floor?

Doesn’t seem to drip until trying to start it.
When you put the pedal to the floor and then start it shuts off the injectors from disbursing fuel. It is called “clear flood mode.” That feature is there in case the motor gets flooded for some reason, it doesn’t add more fuel when starting like it normally would. So this time when you were trying to start it the fuel was shut off, which won’t hurt anything under normal circumstances. The motor just won’t start.
The pop probably isn’t that good of a thing. Does it sound like metal banging or like a backfire?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
When you put the pedal to the floor and then start it shuts off the injectors from disbursing fuel. It is called “clear flood mode.” That feature is there in case the motor gets flooded for some reason, it doesn’t add more fuel when starting like it normally would. So this time when you were trying to start it the fuel was shut off, which won’t hurt anything under normal circumstances. The motor just won’t start.
The pop probably isn’t that good of a thing. Does it sound like metal banging or like a backfire?
More like a small backfire pop. Not wicked loud.. just enough to hear it

Also it kinda of seems that the leak could be coming from the bottom line attached to aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.. pic attached. View attachment 779242

Could that be bunged up? From moisture freezing and trying to run it?

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
More like a small backfire pop. Not wicked loud.. just enough to hear it

Also it kinda of seems that the leak could be coming from the bottom line attached to aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.. pic attached. View attachment 779242

Could that be bunged up? From moisture freezing and trying to run it?
I can’t get the pic to work. Is it leaking at a fitting? Do you see anywhere to attach a gauge on or around the regulator?
Let’s say there’s a leak. Maybe it’s not building enough pressure to run? It seems like there’d be a code for that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I can’t get the pic to work. Is it leaking at a fitting? Do you see anywhere to attach a gauge on or around the regulator?
Let’s say there’s a leak. Maybe it’s not building enough pressure to run? It seems like there’d be a code for that.
I tried to scan it but since I had the battery out for the night I’m getting only a p1000 code🤦‍♂️

D22B6EAA-CD91-40AE-B30C-C7D1FC7F7486.jpeg

And yes it looks like it start from the fitting of the line that goes at straight up into it, no way to get a picture of that though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok so I need help... I thought. The FPR was leaking but I just went and out and put paper towels around both lines that connect to the FPR to see if when I tried starting the car would drip gas... no gas on the towels... but had a drips coming off the drivers side of the car coming off the exhaust pipe mid way... the gas lines are on the pass. Side so I’m stumped to what it could be. Wish I had a lift! I can’t fit under this thing very good. What could cause a fuel drip off the drivers side... only when I try to start it. ?

2A2E9492-7DAB-45D1-A53E-7E7684D9D230.jpeg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Havnt made any headway yet.. it’s been to cold. The car has been sitting for over a week now and the fuel pressure gauge still reads 36... hasn’t dropped at all... is that weird? I’m gonna go into town tomorrow pick up oil and filter, I’d like to change the oil before I try any more turning it over Incase gas has made its way to the oil.. I’m also picking up new plugs And since the car has the coil on plug conversion I’m getting all 8 new super oils as well..after all that I’m It sure where to start again. The fuel pressure regulator could be junk I suppose? Someone said to check the fuel pressure sensor but I can find it anywhere. Grrrr I’m getting a little discouraged.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
So I believe I was mistaken about the fuel pressure sensor. It looks like ‘97-‘98 still use a fuel pressure regulator, so you won’t have a sensor. The regulators is on the rear of the passenger side fuel rail.
I think the reason that you couldn’t find a schrader valve on the rail to hook a gauge too is because I think the gauge in the car is tapped into where the schrader was.
Did it just die one day while idling or where you higher up in the RPM when it died?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So I believe I was mistaken about the fuel pressure sensor. It looks like ‘97-‘98 still use a fuel pressure regulator, so you won’t have a sensor. The regulators is on the rear of the passenger side fuel rail.
I think the reason that you couldn’t find a schrader valve on the rail to hook a gauge too is because I think the gauge in the car is tapped into where the schrader was.
Did it just die one day while idling or where you higher up in the RPM when it died?
It died when I gave it just a touch of throttle off idle. The thing to remember is that it’s a 97 cobra car but he motor is a 2003/2004 cobra with a 2001 upper intake... that seems to complicate things. Lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Also this car has a aftermarket fpr made by aeromotive? And it looks as if the fuel pressure gauge is hooked into it not the fuel rail.
D546D82B-90D4-4945-823D-36BB5EBF17EF.jpeg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I bet it’s adjustable. Is this thing tuned? There’s really no need for an adjustable regulator if tuning is involved. The fueling is all handled via “the tune.”
Yes it was tuned when built back in 2010? On the dyno it made 620whp. That was back when it lived in North Carolina. It’s only had 8k miles put on it since the original owner/builder sold it in 2011 until now. 23k miles total since it was built.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited by Moderator)
Ok so I have the oil changed, the new plugs gapped correctly and installed... now time to spark test the coils... question though... I had to take off the air tube to the throttle body to access them... seems as if I have to leave it off the test the spark on that side... will that hurt anything? Could there be a weird instance where it starts while cranking to find if spark is present? If it does start should I shut it down quick?

A5939400-E79D-4850-9CA6-FA8EBF5B75BD.jpeg

21 - 39 of 39 Posts