Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, I am frustrated with my shaker 500 system and am now looking at replacing everything and also adding the sub in the trunk. Looking for someone that has done this, and what they installed for replacement parts.

I am looking at new 6x8's and 8"subs for the doors, or would you go with 5 1/4's instead of the 6x8's?

Looking at 6x8's for the rear deck, or do you suggest something else?

I am not super versed in car audio, but know enough to be dangerous.

Any good suggestions for head units?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Crutchfield dude, Crutchfield. If you don't purchase from them...at least it will help you pick out what you want spec wise.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Personally... I would get 6X8's in the rear and do a 5.25" component in the front or a 6.5" if you can. Run a 4ch Amp with plenty of power and low Distortion to these.

Then I would buy a set of 8" for the doors and 1 12 for the trunk. Get you 8ohm 8's and a 4 Ohm 12. Again get a 4 Channel Amp, but a large one and bridge the 8"s onto one channel and the 12 onto the other. You will need to probably keep the gain down on the 8's but it will give you some nice punch in the freq of the 6.5" that the 6 will not be able to produce due to not distorting in the upper freq. Then let the 12 poud out the Lows.

I would also Dynomat the Doors and trunk, and see if I could box in the 6X8's under the rear window.

Would be very expensive.. but I bet it would rock.

Now, I am a big fan of Kicker subs, Diamond auidio coponents and kicker Co-axials. Though I tend to use MTX Amps for their Specs and Looks, and I am not so sure about the mid level Rockford Fosgate stuff anymore.

I think my system would run you around the $2500-$3000 Range... Please build this so I can hear it:laughlitt

·
Registered
465 Posts
new stang owner said:
SO, I am frustrated with my shaker 500 system and am now looking at replacing everything and also adding the sub in the trunk.
Your post caught my interest. Just what is so terrible about your radio? Is it faulty or what? I, personally, think this is one of the best audio systems around and really enjoy it, to me it sounds great and would not think of replacing it. I mainly listen to "Classic Rock" at moderate to high volume and the highs are crisp and the bass is tight. I am wondering if maybe you have a bad unit that could be replaced under warranty. Again, I am just curious as to the source of your frustration.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rgensemer said:
Your post caught my interest. Just what is so terrible about your radio? Is it faulty or what? I, personally, think this is one of the best audio systems around and really enjoy it, to me it sounds great and would not think of replacing it. I mainly listen to "Classic Rock" at moderate to high volume and the highs are crisp and the bass is tight. I am wondering if maybe you have a bad unit that could be replaced under warranty. Again, I am just curious as to the source of your frustration.
My main frustration is the known issue with the CD/MP3 issue with ending songs early or fast forwarding on its own. I have reported it several times to my dealer and nothing. I am please with the quality of the stock system, but if I am going to replace the head unit, I am going to do it all.

·
Registered
237 Posts
new stang owner said:
SO, I am frustrated with my shaker 500 system and am now looking at replacing everything and also adding the sub in the trunk. Looking for someone that has done this, and what they installed for replacement parts.

I am looking at new 6x8's and 8"subs for the doors, or would you go with 5 1/4's instead of the 6x8's?

Looking at 6x8's for the rear deck, or do you suggest something else?

I am not super versed in car audio, but know enough to be dangerous.

Any good suggestions for head units?

Thanks in advance.
I looked into this prior to buying my car. The local sound shop that handles all the ford dealership radio installs and upgrades told me that to remove the shaker system would require removing the entire wire harness for the system. You would not be able to use it for a standard Ford radio/cd player or any aftermarket system. This has something to do with the amps located in the door speakers. Aftermarket radios will not drive those speakers. That and the fact that the shaker system is not satellite radio compatible/friendly, made up my mind to not buy the shaker system. I ordered the standard radio, which I removed and installed a Pioneer AVIC-D1 Nav with a GEXP920XM XM radio tuner. This system rocks because I was able to daisy chain my Pioneer CD changer into the system. I am going to add a couple of mid/high range speakers in the doors where the shaker speakers would have been installed soon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had no problems whatsoever with the XM Radio system I added to my 05 GT. The system is clear, bass is full, just like listening to a CD except in some heavily forested areas or under covers/tunnels/etc. I love my access to the music from the 50s through the 80's and classical. System performs well within my parameters of expectation. Also have not experienced so far any CD issues except one "bad disc" message on one CD.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i too have heard that the shaker system is hard to modify or remove. thats why i ordered the 1000, so i wouldnt have to go through any hassles to add subs or more power. 1000 watts is enough for me. and yeah, could have built decent system for the $1200 option, but the 1000 is nice and i like the idea of a clean factory installed subwoofer system. 3 year warranty on the subs aint bad either.....:kooky:

·
Registered
237 Posts
mach_73 said:
I've had no problems whatsoever with the XM Radio system I added to my 05 GT. The system is clear, bass is full, just like listening to a CD except in some heavily forested areas or under covers/tunnels/etc. I love my access to the music from the 50s through the 80's and classical. System performs well within my parameters of expectation. Also have not experienced so far any CD issues except one "bad disc" message on one CD.
The problem I had with the shaker system is the head unit is not xm or sirius ready. You have to use an aftermarket head unit. I didn't like the idea of an extra piece of audio equipment mounted on my dash or console. That is my only complaint about the shaker system. I have listened to both the 500 and the 1000. I thought they both rocked. Just didn't fit my scheme.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I yanked the Shaker 1000 out of my car two weeks after I got it. I replaced the headunit with a Premier DEH960P, then put 5x7 kicker component set in the doors, 5x7 kicker 2way coaxials in the rear deck with an older Punch 300x 4 channel pushing them. I put a Kicker L5 solobaric in a vented box in the trunk with a Poweracoustik amp bridged on it. Also installed Dynamat in the trunk. Overall, it sounds great, but I'm also so used to aftermarket audio sound, I could never stand a factory radio system, no matter how fancy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i've wanted to do the replacement of my shaker500 head unit. i was looking at the double sized units like... (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JeZuHaCZpXB/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=182350&I=130AVICD1)

i want to keep it looking as stock as possible.

my main reasoning is that there is no way of controlling an iPod from the shaker500.

yes...there is a triptunes thing being made by ford, but that's just an AUX adapter, so you can't actually control the iPod. and there is that PIE adapter, that all i read about that is trouble....so i think replacing the head unit with somethign like the pioneer is the best move. plus it adds GPS and the ability to watch movies while driving ;-) haha

·
Registered
214 Posts
y22kc said:
I yanked the Shaker 1000 out of my car two weeks after I got it. I replaced the headunit with a Premier DEH960P, then put 5x7 kicker component set in the doors, 5x7 kicker 2way coaxials in the rear deck with an older Punch 300x 4 channel pushing them. I put a Kicker L5 solobaric in a vented box in the trunk with a Poweracoustik amp bridged on it. Also installed Dynamat in the trunk. Overall, it sounds great, but I'm also so used to aftermarket audio sound, I could never stand a factory radio system, no matter how fancy.
did you remove all the wiring etc or just run a whole new set??
i'm aftermarket normally as well, but with all this "have to remove everything" i'm hearing i'm beginning to worry..

i have a set of brand new OZ Matrix components and 2 15" subs just itching to be utilized..
hope i can fit them puppies in the trunk or i'll have to revert back to the 4 12s out of my civic :(

btw, anyone know what the alternator puts out??
the civic threw out 75a and with a b/u battery and a 3f cap i was fine kicking 3000 watts, but i'd like to eliminate both "toys" on this install if a can..
anything up around 100a should do the trick

·
Registered
24 Posts
Whiplash-GT said:
did you remove all the wiring etc or just run a whole new set??
i'm aftermarket normally as well, but with all this "have to remove everything" i'm hearing i'm beginning to worry..

i have a set of brand new OZ Matrix components and 2 15" subs just itching to be utilized..
hope i can fit them puppies in the trunk or i'll have to revert back to the 4 12s out of my civic :(

btw, anyone know what the alternator puts out??
the civic threw out 75a and with a b/u battery and a 3f cap i was fine kicking 3000 watts, but i'd like to eliminate both "toys" on this install if a can..
anything up around 100a should do the trick
I don't know anything about having to pull out the harness. Order from Crutchfield, and they include an adapter to the stock harness. I pulled out my headunit and put in a Pioneer, with the iPod adapter, a Kenwood 1000w Amp, and a Fosgate 12" Punch woofer. The harness adapter did the trick, and the din adapter they supply looks pretty nice. Also, the stock alternator can keep up, but I drained my stock battery. So I replaced with an Optima, and that helps alot with supplying power. My interior lights dim just a little when they're on, and I'm blasting the bass. So, a 1f cap may be in my future. Here's a pic of my install.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hmmmmm..

k, so you're just running the deck to the original fronts/rears and thru the speaker's amp then eh?? (yes, i'm Canadian :D )
the amp is patched off one set of wires and running the sub..

cool

if you can tho try a spare battery or a battcap thru an isolator (or relay) over just a cap, cap is a cover-up and not a solution :)

i'll be running at least three amps..
one for the front highs, one for the 8" doors (or i'll pull the 8's and split up my components, dunno yet) and the third for the subs..rears will prob come out, not a fan of rear fill....but then again, might be kinda nice in a convertible to have the extra oomph
doing this i'll have to run all new speaker wires and rcas from the deck back..
i already have two optimas ready to go and a relay to split off the power, but i think i'll be passing the cap off to the g/f

thanx for the feedback..
install looks good, din adaptor is clean looking, nice to have the pocket too :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
So what are most of you running for satelite radio? I have been shopping for a super clean system. Been looking on e-bay, but they really do not have any good info. I have a Shaker 1000, and sounds like I will have to go with an FM modulated system. Whats your choice?

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Shaker 1000

I must not be a true music lover or some such. I have the Shaker 1000, have had no problems with it and it sounds pretty damn good to me. I listen to a variety of music, but mostly rock of some kind. Now, I grant, had Ford given us the option (like Dodge) I would have rather spent the $1200+ on a DVD/NAV system (like for example the Eclipse AVN5435), but all in all, I happy with the system. :eyepoppin I mean the system gives strong bass and is very good through the mids and highs. The speakers are well placed for optimum sound quality. And this comes from someone driving a Vert with the top down most fo the time. But then again, I did not buy my girl for the sound system, I bought her becasue she is an awesome driving expeirence, :winks and she goes from 0-60 in 5 seconds while looking good doing it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
The speakers are indeed well-placed - which makes for great sound when you pull out the crap Ford put into this car and replace it with some good stuff. :handball:

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I think the system speakers are Horrible... except for the location of the 8's.

Sounds like its all in my face... no staging or imagin at all....

BUt makes a well balanced sound and thats good enough for me when it comes to factory stereos.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i replaced my shaker 500 for no other reason than i wanted better so i went out and bought a top of the line pioneer in dash dvd/mp3/cd player with 6.5" screen and bought a tv tuner for the pioneer and also a pioneer 6cd changer mounted in the trunk but i kept the stock speakers because they sound amazing with the new system, the bass from the door subs shakes your chest yet stays clean and the highs are crisp, i may experiment with a sub for the trunk but i really don't have much space left.:smoke:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey y22kc you wouldnt happen to have any parts for that shaker system that you want to get rid of.?

Brad

1 - 20 of 34 Posts