Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got lucky(in this boring-ass tourist paradise) and found myself at a stop next to an LS1 in 320hp mode (Camaro SS). I heard his pipes, looked over and said "I know that ain't stock". He said all he was running was an exhaust, but a nice one. High flow X pipe setup, not sure 'bout the headers. I think those trims gain a fair bit of HP from aftermarket exhaust, but dunno the exact figures. So he was probably running from 330-345 crank HP to my 300 ('05 GT). I asked if he wanted to go and he said "Sure, let's see who's heavier". True enough. Interestingly, I pretty much had him off the line, even though my stock rubber was going to glass mode well into 2nd. But at the top half of 2nd he really caught a big breath and surged ahead. Not by a huge margin, but he clearly won by 3rd. I was actually really happy with my stang, knowing the numbers. One thing I'm curious about, though, is as he said, the weight. I know my buddy's LS1 Firebird weighs like a hog: 4200 something. considering I'm a good 400 lbs lighter, I'm thinking it's still a pretty even match-up.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Nice run!

With a full system he might have 300 at the wheels...!! It kinda makes sense you're lighter as you took him off the line but then with momentum he cought up... they also have bigger rubber...

If you had a full exhaust it could have been the otherway around! But as we all know it's better to start in the other end (intake) on these new horsies!

Hopefully you get your mods done before next run! Or find something with less engine to race... :winks

·
Registered
977 Posts
Knowing your competition is sometimes key to winning races. Many stock camaro's dyno over 300rwhp. A young sailor in my squadron had his LS1 Firebird dyno 307rwhp SAE at a local dyno day. If you only race into 3rd gear, not much of a race. I think if you had continued through 3rd and then 4th, the distance between your cars would have become much greater. The curb weight of a Z28, LS1 type, is 3439lbs. Not much difference between your car and an LS1 except that the LS1 makes more power. I ran an exhaust only 2000 Z28 at Carlsbad a few years back and he was hitting 107 mph in the 1/4 mile at a track known to be slow. That sailor I mentioned went to the 1/8th with me a few weeks ago and ran 8.8'[email protected] (now has cat-back and intake). A very nice 05 GT with at least a C&L intake and DR's ran 9.0'[email protected] Of course, anything can happen in the street.

·
Registered
124 Posts
LS1s are faster stock, it's really no secret. The 98-02 Z28 and 05 Stang GT would definitely be closer, but the SS with another 20 horses should pretty much walk you every time even if you take off a bit at the begining.

One thing I was wondering was... don't the 05s have a stock chip to stop burn outs? Is that chip supposed to allow you to spin your wheels as fast as possible without peeling out? Or did I hear wrong all together?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
WS6isKing said:
One thing I was wondering was... don't the 05s have a stock chip to stop burn outs? Is that chip supposed to allow you to spin your wheels as fast as possible without peeling out? Or did I hear wrong all together?
We have traction control that can be turned off... even with it on you can and will burn some rubber. When it kicks in the revs go way down and the car bugless a bit, you will get a better launch 19 of 20 times with TCS off... So to answer your question, no, it is not a 'launch monitor' giving you max power while still maintaining traction...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
WS6isKing said:
LS1s are faster stock, it's really no secret. The 98-02 Z28 and 05 Stang GT would definitely be closer, but the SS with another 20 horses should pretty much walk you every time even if you take off a bit at the begining.

The 05's have a torque limiter... it's not so apparent in the GT... It is VERY APPARENT in the V6 auto! I could NOT even chirp my tire power braking!!!! ARGH! But the SCT X-Cal2 cured that nasty little problem.... hehehe:

V6 Auto with Torque Limiters removed!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
okay guys, got one last night. we were at the local um...... place where some folks sometime line up , and sometimes happen to go in the same direction, not that I condone that kind of thing, but i was just looking @ all the action and this guy says "hey, do u want to race a camaro?" um let me look @ what u got. poops open the hood. LS1. i said i only got a lil 302. (347). says we go heads up. no cars or anyting. Im like cool, i need the seat time. we went, beat him by 3/4 of a car. then afterwars says ur the only mustang that i lost to. thanks. cool, i love my 86!!!!!!!:happydance:

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
i was told stock 99-04 gts with a good driver run 8.5s in the 1.8 and 13.5 in the 1.4 now im sure the 05-08 gts would be faster because they have a higher power output.. but was somone giving me crap because u guys talking like stock stangs only run 9s

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
i was told stock 99-04 gts with a good driver run 8.5s in the 1.8 and 13.5 in the 1.4 now im sure the 05-08 gts would be faster because they have a higher power output.. but was somone giving me crap because u guys talking like stock stangs only run 9s
I have driven a stock 07 GT auto that went 13.9 1/4, if that helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.