Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my car started acting funny and doing a weird studder, it'll idle funny and then take off funny. And drive weird after that, until I turn the car off and back on. Then it drives normal for about 5 miles and starts getting weird again. I let it idle for a bit (like 3 minutes) while it was running rough, I got out and saw a bit of black exhaust. It doesn't do this while the engine is cold, only when it is warm and ready to go. I'll link a video I took of the tach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ejgmSD8hxM

NOTE - I replaced the fuel filter yesterday after it started acting weird, no change. Thanks all, I appreciate the answers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
1. run codes

what is your tps set at?
try re-timing and adjusting the iac

once you run codes fix what pops up and see if your problems go away

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so I pulled codes today and got 32, 13, 77. I luckily had my manual on hand, 32 is the EGR (I deleted the EGR valve), 13 is idle is high, and 77 says I didn't perform the "goose" test, which I did but maybe not fast enough? I don't know, anyways. I tested everything, and all came back positive except those three. Oh and my emissions is bad (go figure, custom exhaust and the manifold flange and downpipe flange are slightly seperated, giving me an exhaust leak) So, ideas guys? I pulled a video of the outside of the car to show you.

YouTube - What my car is doing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am unsure how to check the TPS, and I have no idea what IAC means, lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay looked it up, will clean the IAC tomorrow, and try adjusting the TPS with a voltmeter as well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
yeah there are a lot of threads on adjusting/setting, cleaning and testing the tps and the iac (idle air control) they are very important in order for your car to run correctly.

tests have shown that the egr delete dosent do much. tom renzo actually has a thread on it...you should read it, but ultimately its up to you whether you run it or not.

read this thread there is a lot of good info there...and don't just skip to the end; read the advice
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...g-2-3l-black-smoke-out-exhaust-need-help.html

what engine are you working on anyway? is it stock, do you have a maf? If so clean it and check any associated lines and wires

·
Registered
266 Posts
nevermind on engine...i just read your signature and its a 1990 2.3 NA

read the thread i gave on the smoke problem and meanwhile do your much needed tune up that you were talking about (plugs/wires, rotor, rotor cap etc)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks I really appreciate your help. I actually don't have MAF but I do have that custom ram air intake. It's funny, it feels a heck of a lot torquey..-er? lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so I cleaned the IAC, the throttle body. Replaced cap, rotor, plug wires. Got Platinum 2's not too long ago so didn't get any spark plugs. Didn't check TPS, I didn't bring my manual so I didn't even know where to look.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right, didn't post the result haha. Nothing changed, I listened to the pump and I don't hear any flutter in the whine. Should I just take it in and pay to get a diagnostic? Or are they going to tell me everything I already know?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O2 sensor maybe?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so I've made a bit of headway this morning, checked the tps and it's good. If I would have even remotely thought about it, I would have found it yesterday lol. I idle 700-800 rpm.

Okay so, it idles and it stays okay. I add gas at all and it starts studdering between 1.5-2k rpm and will studder through the rpm range until I flip it off and back on. Fuel regulator was my next guess. But, I'm no expert lol.

Thanks again in advance for any help I get.

·
Registered
266 Posts
its probably not your fuel pressure reg. If you want to check pressure just hook a gauge up to the valve on the fuel line.

I would check the o2 sensor b/c it could be causing the computer to mess up causing the black smoke.

what did your tps read at?

you could also hook up a timing strobe light, using the pug wires to see if your getting sufficient spark on each wire. (bright constant strobe = sufficient spark) Dont pull the plug to check it you could mess up the tfi.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, ill take your word on the regulator.

I have thought O2 sensor before, but I guess I figured it would of come up on the codes.

As for the tps I just meant I checked the screw was where it needed to be. Didnt have a voltmeter atm sorry.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts