Ford Mustang Forum banner

Fuse Box Replacement/Upgrade?

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  GT'sGT 
#1 ·
I am fishing for ideas on replacing the original fuse box in my 67 with an upgrade. Something with more fuses, grounds, and terminals. I have not visited the junkyard yet, but was hoping that I might get some suggstions here for something new, larger than the original, but yet not too big.

I will be adding an amp in the trunk and a 6 speaker system so having terminal connections for the stereo wiring would be a plus. I will also be relay'ing the headlights, adding an electric motor fan, trunk lighting, under the dash lighting, accessory/cig lighter station, and whaterever else comes to mind.

I'm open to suggestions, Thanks...

#2 ·
When I did my EFI swap, I used the 95 GT's underhood fuse/relay box. This box has many fused circuits plus four relay positions. You can probably find one cheap.

When you cut it out of the donor car, either cut plenty of the harness out with it, or get the tool to make new terminations at the box.

#4 ·
While anything is possible with enough motivation, I'd keep it under hood. The reason why is that you can make this new box feed the stock fuse box so if you want to keep some of the old circuits. So this box can add functionality to your existing setup or it can extend current functionality.

I'll attempt to post a pick of my dirty engine bay that shows my box.

You can mount it low on the drivers side right up near the radiator support and it will almost disappear.

In these pics, you'll notice that it blends in pretty well right in front of the driver's shock tower. The engine is not finalized though. I got it running well, then delivered it to the body shop to have the quarters replaced. I have not driven the car in over a year. So when I get it back next week, I've got to finish the wiring and do some other detail things.

Attachments

#5 ·
All, I have a 1970 Mustang Fastback that I bought from a guy in el Paso, Tx. Long, drawn out history but at the end of the day, he (or his son) either way, they jerry-rigged many aspects of the car. Beautiful car but as many of my classic car friendly friends have put it...the car is a pig with lip stick. Nevertheless, I'm diligent about trying to the old gal back to at least driveable and presentable shape. The fuse panel in the car is 1) upside down, 2) broke in three pieces, held together by the actual fuses and 3) I'm wanting to replace it. I'm not the most adept person to attempt this but will put on the gloves and get after it, IF, it makes sense. I'd like to explore with replacing the fuse panel with a newer one but need some advise on how BEST to approach this endeavor. Soldering iron, old harness, new location, connecting to the old harness wiring, etc...end of the day just want to get the old gal on the road...no racing but do want to drive it on nice, warm, sunny days...She deserves it after the hard life she's been through...TLC... from now on.
Let me know

#7 ·
I made my own set up with red leds that light up when a fuse blows, and it has 5 empty slots for expansion. It uses blade fuses.

As a side note, the phrase you are looking for is 'jury rigged' meaning temporary, makeshift or improvised rigging.:grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.