Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont want to remove the cats for emissions and sound purposes. With that being said are there any gains to be made with a catted X or H? Is there a difference between catted x/h-pipes that use aftermarket cats or stock cats?

Im getting an axleback and thinking of changing out the stock h-pipe.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
it would be minimal...aftermarket "high flow" cats will, duh, flow more, without headers the gains are hardly worth the cost.

·
Registered
864 Posts
h pipe gives more torque X pipe gives you a little deeper sound

·
Registered
23 Posts
h pipe gives more torque X pipe gives you a little deeper sound
i thought the H pipes take away torque. some guy on american muscle got a JBA exhaust with an H and said he lost torque.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
i thought the H pipes take away torque. some guy on american muscle got a JBA exhaust with an H and said he lost torque.

Theoretically, X will make more power, but H sounds better. I would doubt the X/H will cause much of a change in power with all else being equal. I would think the lower numbers would come from reduced back-pressure of the JBA mufflers. I'm sure the sound is wonderful.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I started out with the set up in my sig and it had a great sound and made good power (406rwhp)

there were no H pipe options at the time I did my exhaust so I went with the catted X-pipe from Magnaflow.

this set up was not cheap but it worked well with my other mods at the time.The HF cats flowed well enough to throw a code so I had to turn off the rear o2 sensors in the tune.

soon after I supercharged my 5.0 the cats took a dump and I had major engine problems and had to rebuild my motor.

I had no issues with the HF cats before the blower but I was warned about running cats with the supercharger.

I had atleast 3 other guys have the cats fail shortly afer supercharging their 2011 5.0 cars. and they had different blowers than me.

I know there are plenty of guys running cats with no problems but I will not run them again with my blower.

Depending on your future mods I would just keep the stock cats and do a X-pipe and 3" exhaust and you can allways change it up if you go another direction with your mods.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. Ive heard that the cats dont hold up well when you make alot of power as in the case of forced induction.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
heart throb claims about 24 hp gain from their H pipe (stock cats) axle pipes and axle back mufflers.

not sure how valid the numbers are but I've always been in the school of thought that if the stock cats stay put, an exhaust is more of a "cosmetic mod" for your ears than a legit performance mod (unless the car has a severely restricted exhaust to begin with)... which AFAIK the mustang does not.

·
Registered
775 Posts
i wouldn't expect much hp gains fr either - i think single digit gains is about it. the dif between the 2 is most sound in my opinion but i have heard it said that an H pipe is better for torque, and an X pipe is better for top-end horsepower, as it flows better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking of getting the off road h pipe and the GT500 mufflers whenever they come back in stock.

Or the borla s catback that includes an x-pipe after the cats.

Want something relatively moderate with no drone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts