Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of my doors on my 90 Lx have quite a gap on them, which when it rains causes water to leak onto the front seats. Weatherstripping looks ok, and I cleaned out drainage holes on the sunroof with a wire and air compressor to make sure no leak from the sunroof. How can I get rid of these gaps/make the doors fit tightly?

Thanks
-Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
You can fix this one of two ways, or a combination of the two. The first method i would try is to adjust the door latch striker in just a bit so the door latches closer to the body (just try not to adjust it too much farther in because it can make the door difficult to latch)

The second method is to roll down your window, open the door, and gently push the window frame/top of the door inward towards the body of the car. This method essentially bends the top of the door slightly inward so that it contacts the weatherstripping again.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ditto on what he said. Also you may want to look into this. The 2 "tracks" at the front where the sunroof slides into could be letting the water in. I was getting wather on my passenger side seat and come to find out once I took my head liner out water was leaking in through thous and dripping down under the liner making it look like it was getting in through the doors.

If you do end up bending the doors in or adjusting the striker a little trick is to take a dollar bill or a peice of paper and shut it in the parts of the door where you think the gap is too big. Then try and pull it out with the door shut. You should feel some resistance when pulling it out. If you do then the door should be sealed pretty good to the weather stripping.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already tore out the headliner and its raining big time today and for the first time I didnt cover the car. So far so good, Ive checked twice and no leaks. Thanks rob, Ill try to push the door in a bit just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts