Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed when filling up that There is a gas leak. This only happens at fill up.

It is located in the RH (Rear Passenger) fender well. Seems to be a 1-2" pipe that goes into the tank. I took a look at it yesterday it was almost completely rusted away. Is this the "filler neck" it comes from up by the place you fill out but in the fender well, it comes out of this piece with two other smaller hoses near it.

What is this pipe, how do I replace it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pix

Here's the pix... tried to get a good angle but I put the wheel back on.

It's the part with the wire ties around it and the plastic cover. I removed the original wire ties (black) and pulled off the plastic yesterday. Most of it fell apart when I did that from being rusted away. I have a temporary patch on it now but need to know what it is to know how to fix it. I think this was the part that was leaking when I filled up, it looked like this is where it was coming from but I'm not 100% sure. It did smell like gas when the rust came off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
That's the filler neck. If it's rusted and falling apart, you are probably getting rust inside the tank and/or gas may be leaking out and splashing on exhaust pipe. I believe you can replace part from Ford. I would also drop the tank (make as empty as possible, fuel weighs about 8 lbs a gallon) clean it out/replace any gaskets (on top where sending unit enters tank). While it's out you may want to change fuel pump if it's never been done before. Real good time to upgrade.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I had the exact same problem. They wanted $90 for a new filler neck which was about $70 more than I wanted to spend, so I improvised. I cleaned up the rust in (and on) the filler neck, brazed the holes and dipped it in some spare fuel tank liner I had left over from repairing the gas tank on my motorcycle. I've gone through three winters now without a single leak.

It 'might' be worth your while to look at the condition of the rubber gasket where the filler tube goes into the tank too. At least that way, you'll know ahead of time if you need one. Nuth'n sucks more than going to all the trouble of installing a new filler neck only to find out the seal at the tank is crap.

I know...cuz I found that my seal was shot 'after' I dropped the tank and pulled the old filler tube out.

Best of luck with that.:bigthumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.