Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I know this is kind of an odd first question, but I was wondering if I could get some opinions on it early.

I have a factory order in for a 2012 V6, and I am planning on tuning it up a bit once I get into it.

I want to be able to run decent gas in it once it get it, but I am having a bit of a dilemma.

I know that Chevron w/ Techron has been given very good reviews from multiple sources for keeping engines clean.

Unfortunately all Chevron stations in the greater Seattle area run ethanol, and I have heard form multiple that hurts performace and economy.

There are know name stations around that sell ethanol free, but I have heard they do not have as good of detergents.

Does anyone know any good information on this?

I have searched already, but my problem seems to be too much information coming up instead of too little.

Thanks in advance, Chris

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm not sure, but if you get it tuned for the 5-10% ethanol that is being added you wont notice the change, I thought the tuning problem was about cars tuned without ethanol gas?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure, but if you get it tuned for the 5-10% ethanol that is being added you wont notice the change, I thought the tuning problem was about cars tuned without ethanol gas?
Thanks for the reply,

I didn't know you could get it tuned specifically for 10% blend. I guess I will ask bama.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Theres alot of different information out there, and from what I understood the ethanol changes the octane, but the gas also has additives to keep it the same?

with purely % numbers calculateing the performance difference, I believe its about 2% less with 10% ethenol, but its sapose to burn more completely.

And from experience I did run into a serious problem, my old 65 with a carb and 20ish years old tank when it started running off of it, the ethanol broke alot of bad buildup in my tank and lines and sent it running through the carb, cost 130$ for a rebuild and about 6 fuel filters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts