Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my oil and it was low, so I out half a quart in. When I popped the oil cap, there was a noticeable gas smell. I think its the head gasket, and my dad thinks so too. He wants me to diagnose it, just to make sure. Anyone know of a shop near Redwood City that reputable? I gotta fix this before I really hurt my car, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Never heard of gas getting into the oil due to a bad or failing head gasket. I suppose anything is possible, but that one would be news to me.

One way I do know of that would make it possible though is bad valve seals. And that would also explain your oil consumption issue.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Gas smell could also be blow by...some gasses being forced past the piston rings.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Time for a rebuild, the piston rings are shot and are letting gas in cylinders get past them into the bottom end and into the oil. If you have gas in the oil you have likely already destroyed the rod, cam, and main bearings.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The gas smell by itself does not mean that his oil is thinned out...and no one actually said he has gas in his oil. It could be a higher mile motor that does need rebuilt, but without more info, from someone that knows what they are looking at, on the motor and the actual oil condition...we can't say for sure.

OP, just have a good tech...once you find one...check it out and give you their opinion. Hopefully these comments give you an idea on what to look for.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Never heard of gas getting into the oil due to a bad or failing head gasket. I suppose anything is possible, but that one would be news to me.

One way I do know of that would make it possible though is bad valve seals. And that would also explain your oil consumption issue.

Agree...
I definitely wouldn't pin it on a head gasket.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. It is a high mile engine, 147,xxx. I found a place to go get it checked out tomorrow, hopefully the problem will show itself. Its my daily driver and I intend on making a lot of changes to it, and hopefully this wont kill my already shaky budget.
There was a little smoke coming out of the oil also, and overall it seemed a little too warm. I think the guy who sold me the car disconnected or messed with the gauges, because the oil temp is always the same (3/4 of the way to the hot). Also the speedo and tach are off, but i think he just didn't fix them after he put 3.73's in.
Anyways, I'll be okay as long as its something we can do, because the labor cost will KILL me. Hes got a lot of experience, something like 50+ cars owned, flipped for profit, etc.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Was the car driven pretty hard before you got it?

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Have your mechanic perform a compression test and a leakdown test.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel like it was driven pretty hard, as it has a CAI, racing clutch, short shifter and a SCT performance chip on it. I'll see if I can afford those tests.

·
0 Posts
Some fuel smell in old oil is normal. Blow-by sends burned fuel deposits (commonly referred to as carbon) into your oil. If it absolutely reeks of fuel, and the fuel smell is overpowering the normal smell of oil is when you have a problem.

A compression test and/or a leakdown test will tell you what's going on. All it takes to run a compression test is the correct socket to pull your spark plugs, a compression tester (Harbor Freight and/or your local parts stores all carry a decent one that doesn't cost much), and the ability to pull your fuel pump relay. You pull each spark plug one at a time, install the tester, and crank the engine over a few revolutions, and record the PSI reading. All the cylinders should have a similar number, and a repair manual from Haynes or Chilton will have the range that the number should fall between (not to mention pictures and details on the procedure).

A leakdown test is like a more advanced compression test that is done to determine how well the cylinder is sealed up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts