Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 302 block board to 4.040 (.040 over) and stroked 3.400 making it a 348.7 cid.

I have AFR #1420 (AFR 185cc Renegade Aluminum Cylinder heads)

My dad had the engine balanced and blue printed but i dont have that information. He had Fel Pro 8548pt2 head gaskets which are 4.100 boar and .041 compressed thickness and a compressed volume of 10.196cc. (Recommended for street to mild engines) $13. - $16

The AFR website and tech says that the gasket should be Fel Pro 1011-1. These are 4.100 boar and .047 compressed thickness and a compressed volume 9.00cc. (Recommended for racing) $31 - $44

My question is should i go with what was in there already because dad had it blueprinted and the compressed thickness difference of 0.006 and compressed volume difference of 1.196 will effect power range?

Before i pulled the engine i ordered the 1011-1 from jegs for $69 for two. So i have them ready to install. The money is not an issue its my dads car so if they are better i want the best on the car. Or should i keep what was on there already because of the measurement differences.

I have read bad things about the 1011-1 with premature failure but honestly its all about proper installation. Tightening down the bolts in 3 torque stages to max torque in the recommended torque pattern, waiting a several hrs to let the gasket and any sealing compounds settle then re-torque, and then final torque after the engine is dropped in and idled to operating temperature and letting it cool down to a cool to touch temp (not warm) max torq i. The recommended bolt pattern.

One last note. My dad had the engine built at South City Speed Shop in St. Louis.. The did a fabulous job but all the gaskets from timing cover to oil pan to intake, exhaust etc... Were all the cheapest FelPros available at the local auto store.... The thing never leaked except the water pump gaskets once and the. The thermostat gasket... But otherwise it was perfect..... So my concerns are performance and reliability. My assumption he was trying to keep costs at a minimal.

Since my engine clean up and head gasket repair i am putting the best gaskets i can, teflon, rubber and steel.... Money not a problem...

Let me know if the change in thickness is going to effect my performance and if keeping with the best is the way to go...

·
Registered
13,040 Posts
Did you have the block decked?

Are the pistons at zero or are they a little below the deck?

The gasket you listed is more of a stock replacement type but not bad at all. I has a compressed thickness of .047 not sure of the .041.

With aluminum heads I use 9333.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts