Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice on my commute home yesteday I experienced a gas smell in the passenger cabin. Windows were up, AC on, and I hadn't recently past any gas stations and there weren't any other cars particularly close to me. When I got home, I checked things out under the hood and found and smelled nothing?

Today after parking at work, I smelled gas again as I walked around the front of the car?

The smell is definitely gas and not exhaust.

This has me concerned and made me think about the 2011 5.0 owner I read about whose engine bay caught on fire.

Any ideas other than take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Don't take offense at the this question...did you smell your shoes to see if you spilled gas on them at your last fillup? :yelwacko:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think its just the fuel vapors purge valve doing its job. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
these issues are usually more urgent than most, maybe have deysha set something up for you right away.

anything fuel related would = instant trip to dealer

·
Registered
146 Posts
Twice on my commute home yesteday I experienced a gas smell in the passenger cabin. Windows were up, AC on, and I hadn't recently past any gas stations and there weren't any other cars particularly close to me. When I got home, I checked things out under the hood and found and smelled nothing?

Today after parking at work, I smelled gas again as I walked around the front of the car?

This has me concerned and made me think about the 2011 5.0 owner I read about whose engine bay caught on fire.

whatever you do, dont smoke in the car lol

i would take a trip to the dealership as well, if u can. It's probably nothing, but better off checking it out and finding nothing, then not checking and realizing its a big problem

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Don't take offense at the this question...did you smell your shoes to see if you spilled gas on them at your last fillup? :yelwacko:
I was going to ask this too. If not, I'd be getting that horse to the dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
By any chance, do you usually fill the tank up to the very top when you fill up, by this I mean after the auto pump cut off kicks in indicating the tank is full, do you happen to try and continue to "top it up" to the very top?
If you do this, it might be the fuel purge valve not having the room it needs to purge out fumes/pressure,this is especially true if the car sits in direct hot sunlight (expansion of gasses/pressure).

F

·
0 Posts

Hi Checkmate,

You will have to take it to the dealer for diagnosis. Also, private message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can escalate this for you and work on getting this resolved.

these issues are usually more urgent than most, maybe have deysha set something up for you right away.

anything fuel related would = instant trip to dealer
+1 Thanks for the shout out cababah!:bigthumbsup

Deysha

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I took it in and my dealer refused to investigate my gasoline smell issue under warranty because I have GT500 splash guards installed and aftermarket window tint...JK :p

As suspected, they found nothing, and I haven't smelled any gasoline since I first posted the issue. At this point, I'm not going to worry, what else can I do?

I need to reschedule a visit to have the tires rotated and maybe have them do the idle surge TSB. I'll ask them to check again if I have the gas smell between no and then.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Checkmate,

You will have to take it to the dealer for diagnosis. Also, private message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can escalate this for you and work on getting this resolved.

Deysha
Thanks for the offer to help Deysha. I have a pretty good relationship with my local dealer, and they've always taken good care of my cars.

I'll definitely let you know if something needs escalation down the road. :bigthumbsup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts