Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.
im really not a fan of my mustangs gauges, pretty much the only thing on the car i dont like.
i happen to have access to laser cutting tools (for plastic, acetate, etc.) and have the ability to make a custom plate to hold gauges in place of the current ones. obviously the design will revolve around circles, as all available aftermarket gauges happen to be that way.

so this i was i need to know from you guys.
what type of gauges do i need?

i want to do a Tach, Speedo, Water temp, Fuel level, Oil Pressure, and Volts.

oil pressure and volts are still a maybe.

which gauges need to be mechanical and which need to be electronic?

im thinking all but the speedo need to be electro, but im unsure.

any help is appreciated! thanks!!

(im also doing a custom center console plate, to get that radio to the top without spending 90 bucks.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'd go electronic on all but the speedo..........

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Hey systronic I made some custom radio delete plates for mustangs to hold gauges. PM me if you are interested inchecking out the vector files I made.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mechanical gauges are reputed to be more accurate, but do you really want a plastic line with oil or coolant running up and into your car? I prefer to keep my oil in the motor only, and not have any extra lines that aren't absolutley neccessary. As said above, go all electric except for the speedo.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mechanical gauges are the way to go IMHO. They are more accurate and react to changes quicker. The only downside is that you have to run the sender units to the engine which takes a little more work then running some wires. As far as plastic lines, well I have Autometer gauges (mounted to steering column) consisting of a oil pressure and water temp gauge. The oil pressure line that came with the gauge was plastic, however they offer a braided stainless steel line which is what I have, and the water temp is a flexible steel line that has no fluid in it. The temp was the harder one to mount since you cannot have any hard bends in the line. I would go with the electrical gauges for fuel level, volts/amps (one is better than the other, but I don't remember which one), tach (I would get at tach that will work with aftermarket ignition systems as well as the stock system [autometer is one]) and the speedo you can do either electronic or mechanical.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I run mechanical oil and coolant temp ( ford racing) and I run an electronic fuel pressure gauge only because you cannot run fuel into the passenger compartment. I also tend to think they react better and are more accurate...my opinion....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,
I also would say go with mechanical oil presure & water temp guages, otherwise you pretty much would have the same thing you do now. As for the oil line, I've never had any prob with the plastic lines or the copper. However the copper will make a little noise. Mechanical guages are not hard to install either. You can hook up your average oil/amp/temp guage pod in less than an hour (of course the amp guage is elec). Just my humble opinion! Shawn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.