Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Ford Mustang GT Manual Transmission.

I was driving one day and the gauges on my car started acting crazy as well as the Air Bag light flickering. Service engine light came on as well. Over the course of a few weeks it began to get worse. It seemed the more electrical things on in my car, such as (lights, radio, AC or heater, fog lights, ETC) the worse the gauges got. It got to the point that the radio and guages and odometer completely stopped working, however the car was running fine.

Thinking it was probably the altenator I took it down to Autozone and they said it was bad so I bought a new one. Once installed everything seemed to work, but when I drove to work the next morning it started messing up agian, however not nearly as bad as before. Then when I got to work the Battery light came on.

I'm thinking the altenator was bad for so long it messed up the battery as well? But then agian I don't know because the car starts and runs fine!

Help please!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You may have just got a bad alternator from the store. I would have them take. Look at it. Also check all your fuses and connection, including the ground for the alternator.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
+1 to the above.

Also check battery voltage.... First directly on top of the posts, then also at the clamps - directly on the clamps, and also between posts and clamps; probe at + post and - clamp and then again at + clamp and - post. Should read 12.6V. Anything less, even 12.5V is technically considered low. If you get a solid 12.6 at the posts but slightly less on the clamps, remove the clamps and clean them and the posts, then recheck to verify your efforts. Voltage reading with the engine running should be typically anwhere from 13.6-14.4V. Be sure to follow the cables away from the battery and verify that they are secure (chassis ground near the battery and positive cable connection to the power distribution box).

And just a guess to throw out there, but your post also struck me as CCRM being a possibility. Unfortunately though I don't know enough about the CCRM to assist you in troubleshooting it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts