Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched here and elsewhere for this answer but haven't found a definitive answer. If I've just missed it please pardon me.

I've got a '10 GT with 3.31 gears that I would like to change to 3.37 gears. Can my dealership update my ecm for the gear change to properly calibrate my speedo, etc.? Since the 3.73 gears are available from the factory I would think so but I'm finding differing opinions on this. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've searched here and elsewhere for this answer but haven't found a definitive answer. If I've just missed it please pardon me.

I've got a '10 GT with 3.31 gears that I would like to change to 3.37 gears. Can my dealership update my ecm for the gear change to properly calibrate my speedo, etc.? Since the 3.73 gears are available from the factory I would think so but I'm finding differing opinions on this. Thanks for your help.
Yes for around ~$100. If you plan on doing more upgrades in the future that require a tune it would be more cost effective to get a handheld programmer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bigkzilla. It may be some time before I can or will add a performance tune so I would like my stock tune to properly include the new gearset.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The dealers have a tool which can calibrate your stock tune's speedometer. It can adjust up to 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yes for around ~$100. If you plan on doing more upgrades in the future that require a tune it would be more cost effective to get a handheld programmer.
The dealer will charge you 100 bucks to use their rest room. :winks

Seriously though, mine charges 100 bucks to read the trouble codes from the computer. How long can that take? 2 minutes? They can change the gear values in about that much time too I expect. Maybe they need to pay their service manager to write up the job, their Mechanic for 10 minutes of his time, and their desk Betty to take you money and print up 5 pages of service sheets. And a huge cut for the owner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear you re: dealer pricing. I shopped a couple of them for the gear swap and was astounded at the outrageous quotes I received for parts, labor and estimated time for the job. Clearly they prefer to limit themselves to basic scheduled maintanence jobs. By their responses I wouldn't be confident in them doing the work even at a reasonable price. Makes you wonder....

·
Registered
711 Posts
The dealer will charge you 100 bucks to use their rest room. :winks

Seriously though, mine charges 100 bucks to read the trouble codes from the computer. How long can that take? 2 minutes? They can change the gear values in about that much time too I expect. Maybe they need to pay their service manager to write up the job, their Mechanic for 10 minutes of his time, and their desk Betty to take you money and print up 5 pages of service sheets. And a huge cut for the owner.
Yeah I know. My grandma took her Caddy to the dealer to replace the wheel hub/ABS sensor assemblies and they wanted $1300! I got the parts for $61 and did it for her. Talk about a joke.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. I used to take my '04 GT to one of the ones I shopped for service and was always pleased w/ them. They even replaced a rear seal for a reasonable price but they wanted $796 for labor + parts and 1 1/2- 2 days to do it. Another wanted $694 parts and $900 labor to do the job in "only" 1 day.
I found a place that will do it for just under $600 parts, labor and tax. Also quoted 4 hrs which seems more right.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I got 3.73s in my coupe, and it was easy to use the SCT tuner to compensate, when running a tune. I wanted to be able to run the stock tune on the street, and compensate for the gear change as well. No dice at the dealer. They messed with their computer and my car for an hour, and decided they couldn't do it.

I changed the K&N CAI for a FRPP "Bullitt" item. The "stock" tune became the FRPP tune, and the FRPP "ProCal" tuner allows for gear changes and tire revs per mile compensation in the stock - and CARB-legal - tune. The SCT Bama tunes will go on over the top of the FRPP tune. All is well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.